Right angle drive kaput?

My speedo stopped working - so I replaced the noisy cable, finding it still continuous - end to end. Watching the inner rotate whilst driving I noted that it would stop between my fingers at the slightest squeeze. Expect that the gears are partially stripped in the right angle drive down at the transmission? Sound right? Thanks Paul

May just be that the end of the cable is rounded off?

But not on the cable, rather on the drive where the cable plugs in to. The gears at least on the bw65 angle drive i‘m familiar with are very, very solid and surely more substantial than the connection where the cable is connected.
Either that or something else is gone.

I’ve been there on a much different critter. One of my Weed Eaters had a jointed shaft. A weak point.
Possibly for packaging purposes. then it quit whacking!!! engine ran happily, business end barely turned. No whacking ability.,

I opened the joint on the shaft. A careful look at the engine end revealed the “square” hole was no longer “square”. Now, roundish.

I had another similar Weed Eater, with a weak engine, but a solid shaft. Made one good Weed Eater, and one mostly junk…

Carl

Thanks gents. The cable ends are still square - perhaps it is just a rounded out square drive as suggested. I have ordered a new one - NOS - from a local supplier at a reasonable price and postage. Might attempt to dismantle the old one and see what I can do. It makes some sense that the square drive might be the “fuse” to me. Paul

I realised just as I pushed the reply icon that you mentioned that the cable had been changed, DOH!