Right signal turn works sometimes 97 xj6L

Hi Everyone, I am new to the Jag-Lovers !! Look forward to learning and sharing more about my Jag with you all!

I need help … my right turn signal will work 4 times out of 5 then go out (clicks real fast)… I was told to check and see if my hazards went out at the same time and yes, they do! Next day it will all work again until about the 4 th or 5th time…

It was suggested that I replace a hazard flasher relay but no one at the 2 Jag dealers I asked about this say there is such a part. Is this part of an assembly? Does anyone know about this issue?

Peace
Dee

Dee,

Your car is much newer than anything we discuss on this list.   You should be on the X300 list.  Jaguar used the model name XJ6 for decades, but there are very few parts or systems that are similar between your cars and the cars discussed on this list.   Try the X300 list, they should be able to provide some advice there. 

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1990 Series III V12 Vanden Plas

1990 XJ-S Classic Collection convertible

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1969 E-Type FHC

1957 MK VIII Saloon

Ramona, CA USA

Oops! Thank you Paul.

Standard cause of ‘fast’ flashing in one direction is a blown bulb, Dee - but the other bulbs will light up, flashing fast on the defective bulb side…

If two-filament bulbs are used in the direction indicator circuit; a short between the filaments in a bulb will interfere. Never tested if either would interfere with the flasher…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Frank, to clarify further, its the right signal and right flasher, front and back, the will not work when this occurs. The car will go into the shop. thanks again!

The professionals will solve it, Dee…

…but you do not mention if you checked the lamps externally, which would reveal a blown bulb - or indeed a bulb with intermittent ground.

As Paul implies; the newer models may be using a different set-up form ‘our’ Jaguars - where the same components are used for both ‘right’ and ‘left’ turns. The lower current drawn if one bulb is failing will then cause rapid blinking on the remaining outside bulb - or the inside repeater…

Frank

HI Frank, yesterday I did this… I got out of the car and checked and only the right side hazard light and signal lights, front and back, did not work. Now I am wondering if it’s just a bulb… I will drop by the mechanic to have them replaced. Thank you!!

In principle, Dee - if a bulb is blown, or lack connection: the remaining ones would flash, but at the higher rate.

How a missing bulb would affect the blink rate in ‘hazard’ is somewhat uncertain, but the remaining bulbs should show signs of life. However, this assumes the old fashioned way with one flasher relay working both sides - later systems may work differently. But car electrics is more an art form than plain mechanics, so…:slight_smile:

Frank