RIP Norman Dewis O.B.E

I have just heard that Norman has passed away, sad news for the Jaguar Family.

Expected, but still sad to hear. Condolences to his family.

Oh dear, so sad. Within the British automotive world anyway the man was a true part icon. Just knowing he’s no longer with us leaves a feeling of great loss.

1 Like

Very sad day.……R.I.P. My friend…
GTJOEY1314

3 Likes

Tragic news, Norman Dewis past away today.

David

I noted on the UK Jaguar forum about a month or two ago that he was ailing.
He certainly had a rich and fulfilling life; he did things most only dream of doing.

Craig

1 Like

Did he EVER: Ginger must be very sad, today.

Thanks for letting us know David, he seemed like a good man…
My condolences to his family and friends.
LLynn

1 Like

A very likeable person, and tells a good story. He got a dream life!, great for him!

In my short Jaguar ownership I had the good fortune to meet him on 3 occasions - a real gentleman and and icon in the history of the marque.

He’ll ride with me wherever I go (in a fashion):

3 Likes

Nice memento to have, he was our club Patron (Auckland Jaguar Drivers Club) for many years and it was so nice to see him wearing our club badge on this blazer a few years ago on a video interview.

Not a shock, but very sad to hear of his passing. He was quite a man and the Jaguar world is diminished by his absence.

2 Likes

Sad to hear of his passing. Met him several times, amongst others in Jabbeke Belgium where he did a rerun of his '48 120 MPH record. At another occasion I stood next to him (his shoulder just below my elbow) and told him I drove a 62 FHC. He burst out laughing and he called out all his mates (not much bigger then him) and he told me Jaguar so much build that car around him. On the spot I (6’6") had to get into a nearby FHC to proof I’d fit. One of his mates told that he felt I didn’t get so much in to the car, but much more “put it on”. Needless to say we had a good time. One little thing was true about Norman (and of many former racing drivers for that) is “the older they get, the faster they went”. But that said none of us here were at one time in our lifes as fast as he was!

1 Like

Though not unexpected, horrible news for the Jaguar community. RIP Norman, my condolences to his family and friends.
pauls

1 Like

RIP Norman, the last of the breed who gave us cars that will be enjoyed for decades to come. Such a gentleman, I met him a few years ago at Saratoga Springs,NY. I asked him what his favorite cars were and he responded, the xk150S because all the bugs had been worked out, then the series one E types,
long nosed D type and all time favorite, what else but the XJ-13. He also preferred the 3:31 differential on E types. Sad day, but he is now with the other members of the Jaguar family.
Regards,
Allen

1 Like

Norm with two Listers at Monterey Historic Races a coupla years back:

2 Likes

“A couple of years back:” FOURTEEN years back!!!

I’d plumb forgot about this meeting with the man… thanks, Craig, not only for the photo, but for making it possible for me to get to Monterey, at all.

RIP, to both of those good gentlemen, who have now departed.

That pith helmet now lies at the bottom of Sterling Reservoir… and I’ve never been able to find the same one.

RIP Norman. I have your autograph hanging on the wall.

1 Like

I posted this to the Jag-lovers homepage today:

https://www.jag-lovers.com/norman-dewis-obe/

2 Likes

Well-done… thanks.