Road Trip Preparations

I’ve done Montreal to Vancouver and back with mine, 12.000km total…!
And I just had the car for a year then and was not in the best condition.
Only hick up was the A/C clutch that decided to stay engaged permanently and the system had no Freon… Fixed on a local garage and continued on.

Besides the obvious tools and parts, I always curry a set of belts and a spare Ignition Amplifier with me.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Picking up the car from the mechanic tomorrow. He said go for it! We replaced the two upper radiator hoses, both thermostats, the coolant temperature sensor, flushed the cooling system, and did oil and filters. Everything else checked out. I have a trunk full of miscellaneous hoses and belts, even a spare water pump, jumper cables, a booster pack, and a small air compressor. Maybe this weekend I’ll be able to share some photos of the car at Crater Lake. Just in case, I’m going to give it a fresh coat of wax tomorrow.

3 Likes

“Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing at all.”

~Helen Keller

:grimacing:

I still never figured out, if she was born deaf :deaf_woman: AND blind (100%), how were they ever able to teach her things, like language/communication? :confused: I guess maybe if I watched the movie it shows the process they used … :movie_camera: ?

The movie was good–and relatively accurate–but Sullivan’s book was even better.

Not EVEN sure how to put ObJagCon into this!

:grimacing::cry:

Good luck on your trip, Derrick - can’t wait to see photos. I’ll be waving as you pass Portland!

1 Like

Jolly good luck with your trip - this is the kind of thing the XJ-S was built for so enjoy every minute behind the wheel.

I did a US road trip with my (then new to me) brother in law and my sister back in about 2005. We rented a Chevy Trailblazer and drove from Seattle to San Francisco and stopped at Crater Lake on the way - it’s a beautiful place and I really grew to love the state of Oregon as we travelled down it.

It was my first time driving in the US, and also my first time driving an automatic - not really understanding how American cities worked, I managed to drive two blocks the wrong way up a one way street with about 6 lanes of traffic facing me, being held on a red light. Squeaky bottom time! Especially when you haven’t yet worked out that you use the same foot for stop and go, and don’t use the other foot for anything at all when driving an auto.

But maximum points went to my sister who was stopped by a local trooper for doing 90mph in a 50 zone, trying to overtake a lumber truck that we’d been stuck behind for ages. He was very decent about the whole thing and after he’d realised that we were Brits, he put his gun away and let us off with a warning that hitting a moose was like hitting a Semi at that speed. We slowed down thereafter.

I think the best info I can offer you, as the owner of a V12 Jag, is that there is (or at least was, when we were there) a petrol station at Crater Lake - we were running our Chevy on fumes by the time we got there and we’re very pleased to see it!

Enjoy the trip :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, this car was made for this kind of trip. I plan on doing the same one day, Seattle to Los Angeles. Once i sort out my restoration.

Good luck! Share your experience once you’re done!

One leg of the trip is done. I’m settled in at the base of Mount Mazama, the peak containing Crater Lake, planning to arrive at the gate as soon as the park opens tomorrow. It has been an adventurous first day! Immediately the car felt solid and we settled in at an easy 80mph pace. Not a needle moved except the gas gauge which seemed to make a funny slurping sound. I wanted to stay out of the sun so I left the top up, but since the A/C doesn’t work, I kept the windows down. Wondering how unbearably hot it would be with the windows closed, I rolled them up and immediately the ragtop started beating like a drum. I tried slowing and rolling the windows back down, but the flapping continued. Reaching up, I discovered the canvas had ripped straight across. Looks like the rest of the trip is going to be topless!

Soon after I stopped for my first fill-up. Coming out of the station a young man standing in front of a Cadillac with half the windshield cracked and the front bumper nearly dragging on the ground asks me if I have jumper cables. I do have a booster pack and we were able to start his car. He jumps in, arguing with his passenger, and takes off. But he’ll put in another appearance.

First, you may have heard about the Fawn fire, currently burning just north of Redding, CA. Well I hadn’t, until ash was literally raining down into the car. My ragtop in pieces, I donned a mask and took off through the smoke. Remember that guy from the gas station? Just as I’m emerging from the haze, he passes me, going at least 100mph. Five minutes after that I look in my rearview mirror and see a phalanx of California Highway Patrol. I pull to the right and they blow by, also going triple digits. Twenty minutes later, traffic is at a stand still and the Caddy is in pieces in the middle of I-5N. It seems I aided and abetted a fugitive!

After that, the only drama was waving back to the occasional kid.

9 Likes

Wow, Derrick - that’s a pretty hair-raising story. Have you considered that if the Caddy hadn’t started, he may have developed a sudden unwelcome interest in your gleaming Jag?!

Nevertheless, I’m very pleased to hear you got there OK - I hope you’ll be able to post some pictures of Crater lake and your XJ-S.

1 Like

Same here. :smile:

Btw, that story reminds of an equally-unhappy situation that happened on a road trip that my mom and I took out west to CA back in '76. Our family had just bought a 5-y.o. or so Lincoln Town Car for the trip, and had the engine on same completely overhauled by a local mechanic before the trip. :+1: The sad part is when we were headed north out of L.A. toward Sacramento on Highway 1 (i.e. the perilous coastal highway). At one point when we were near Big Sur or Carmel-by-the-Sea on the highway we were passed by a VM microbus that contained a family with kids. :family_man_woman_girl_boy: I can still remember the sight of the kids happily waving at us from the back window before we lost sight of them and their bus due to difference in road speed (i.e they either sped up or we dropped back). Not long after that and a bit further down the road we came upon an accident scene, with ambulances and all. :ambulance: :fire_engine: :police_car:. This was on a stretch of the highway where it came right to the edge of a steep cliff straight down to the beach. To our horror, we quickly saw that the victim was our VW bus. Lookedl like somehow they plunged right off the edge of the roadway and down to the beach. :open_mouth: Just didn’t see how anyone in the bus could have survived. :cry: Of course, this tragic incident didn’t help things any with my neurotic and very anxious aunt (my mom’s sister), who was taking the trip with us, at last up to that point. :grimacing: