Road Trip - Raleigh/Seattle/LA/Raleigh - Final Update!

100%. SPOT. ON.

Great observations, Bob, thanks for sharing. I recently returned from an Oregon to California road trip and can attest to what you mention. BTW, if your route includes Starbucks, their restrooms are clean, too. It’s the difference in gas prices from one border to the next that had me scratching my head.

1 Like

Just finished my first day, ending at Paducah, Kentucky. One Power Nap and I was good to go :slight_smile:
Thanks for all the comments!

1 Like

What’s your route through Illinois?

If you decide to take the southern route back home, swing by north central Florida.

Rick OBrien

I drink a liter of water after 15 or so hours on film set before a long drive home, it’s impossible to fall asleep when your about to pee yourself.:grinning:

1 Like

You should always have a good pee before driving home the most common injury. Ruptured bladder from seat belt so I’m told
Cheers

It is: one of my jobs, when herding a buncha racing noobs, was to caution them to take a good piddle before cinching themselves into the sadistic thing called a racing harness…:crazy_face:

About a year ago I wanted to get from 101 to 1 and saw that way on the map. We were in an RV towing a car. Interesting. Would have been much more enjoyable in the Jag.

Rod

Are you taking the 40 or the 10 thru Arizona? If you are taking the 10 you will be coming thru Tucson and ~ 10 miles from my house. We have an empty guest room and empty spot next to our Cayman in the garage. We can also give you some interesting sights along the 10 on the way back.

Dave Christensen

Hi Harvey, from the Bay Area,

I hope you are planning on spending a bunch of time on Highway 1 in central California.

Getting on Hwy. 1 in Pacifica, you’ll enjoy tons of amazing views. I live near San Jose, one of my favorite loops goes up the middle of the peninsula on 280 and then I take 92 West to Half Moon Bay. Hwy 1 south to Santa Cruz is a gorgeous drive! I normally take 17 north back over the hill to San Jose.

I am not as familiar with the arc around Monterey Bay along the coast. I’ve driven it a few times, a lot of farming, not as many stunning views as I recall.

But the drive on Hwy 1 south from Carmel down to Big Sur is simply stunning! I have run the Bug Sur marathon twice, which is entirely on Hwy 1 going north from Big Sur to Carmel. LOTS of amazing views.

I’ve also continued south on 1 all the way down to Santa Barbara. Again, many stunning views. I think Hearst Castle might be open again too, near San Louis Obispo.

I am not able to offer any housing (kids are back from college for the summer), but if you had room in your schedule to get together for lunch or dinner in Santa Cruz, it would be my honor to show off my ‘68, and to get to thank one of the people who have been an inspiration to me to learn how to work on my own car.

PM me if you have the time to meet. Otherwise, enjoy the road trip, and enjoy the beauty of the Pacific coast!

Ed

Another 24k JL encounter! Who needs Tinder?

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

@Harvey_Ferris dropped by on his cross country adventure, and we spent a delightful hour or so havin’ a yarn!

He took a ride in the Jeep…

… then continued south to see @Craig_Balzer. Just over Harvey’s left shoulder is… Harvey.

:laughing:

As usual, everyone I’ve met off this wonderful forum has matched their press releases…:wink:

Thanks, Harvey, for the time spent.

5 Likes

I am in Seattle at my son’s house and have had time to post my first update article on my website. Here is the link.

4 Likes

Well done, sir! You are having an excellent adventure, and I’m looking forward to doing sort of kind of the same thing in just a couple of years.

It was great having you for even a short visit; stop in anytime.
I’ll leave the lights for ya.

Craig

2 Likes

Great write-up. My wife would have shot me at first sight of the dirt road.

1 Like

I’d ask why, but Im afeared you’ll answer…:grimacing:

1 Like

@pmodee My wife carefully curates every aspect of our joint trips. Every overnight stay is reserved months in advance. This takes a lot of time but for overseas trips the peace of mind is good for both of us. Even then, we have been met with similar No Way moments when small roads became goat tracks. Regardless, on this trip in the US I’ve typically waited to late in the day to look for lodging. Of course I started during a holiday week but I have been surprised how many motel properties in unremarkable places are sold out when I call. I haven’t had to sleep in the car yet but it has been close. A very good thing that she is not along for this trip.

3 Likes

Great write up. The story flowed and well written. Enjoyed the read.

I just finished my blast down the Pacific Coast and back. If you drive Route 1 in California on a weekend, in the rural areas no one would rent me a room for just one night. A little preplanning on that leg may keep you from sleeping in the car. And my 2003 Bimmer Z4 beat your Porsche on at least one measure. I averaged 30.1 MPH over 2900 miles, including as many twisty bits as I could string together.

I have camped in a Vega a few times and it is not bad but I am guessing things like this are not made for small hatchbacks and wagons anymore. They are very compact for traveling when folded into their pouch.

David
68 E-type FHC

2 Likes