RobY / '68 S1.5 OTS resurrection - Part 1

Hey listers…., or is it lovers….? :thinking:

I joined the forum a couple of months ago and have been avidly reading many posts, both old and new, and figured it was time I introduced myself.

My name is Rob Yaskovic. I’m 48 years old, been married 25 years this year (to the same woman!), I have two boys – one 19 and one 16. I live in Rockledge, Florida and have been here for the past 25 years or so.

As for my connection to, and interest in, E-types –
My father passed away nearly three years ago and, as his eldest son and the only offspring “into” cars, I have inherited his ’68 S1.5 OTS. My father has owned this car since I was too young to remember, and it was his daily driver throughout his whole career. “The Jag”, as we’ve always called it, isn’t just a car to me, and while it’s certainly special because it’s an E-type, it’s most special because, to me, this car is my dad. They were both together and a part of my life for so long they have really grown to be synonymous to me. The sight, the sounds, the smells, the memories…. it’s just him. “The Jag” didn’t get as much use once he “retired” to farm life in the late 90’s and as time passed, it was used less and less. He did keep it garaging and running, but since his passing it has been sitting, unused. I have been wanting to bring it home for some time but I didn’t have a proper place to put it. That has since been resolved (a whole ‘nuther story!) and it’s now time!!

I’ve hired a commercial transport to pick it up in Ontario, Canada (my dad’s farm) and haul it to Rockledge for me in January. Per their requirement, the car doesn’t have to run, but it must steer and roll freely. Last I visited, and before I hatched this plan, I checked things out a bit – I know it doesn’t roll (brakes frozen, not sure about the clutch) and I’m assuming it’ll steer (didn’t check). I will be flying up a few days before they’re supposed to pick it up, to ensure I can get it rolling and verify free steering. Any advice/tips/tricks you all can offer on accomplishing this will be most appreciated. I’m most worried about the rear brakes considering the inboard arrangement and lack of access. Once I get it home I’ll go through everything to see where we are, but for now I’m purely focused on getting it rolling and steering onto the transport.

My thanks to you all in advance. As I said earlier, I’ve been reading a LOT and I’ve gotten a taste for the knowledge, passion, and humor this group has to offer. I kinda even feel like I know some of you already!! I’m looking forward to sharing my adventure and building some new friendships too!!

RobY

3 Likes

Welcome Rob. If the tires can be inflated it should steer and be made to roll. It would be unusual for the steering to be disconnected unless someone has been messing with it. Obviously it is well worth the effort to resurrect it since it has such sentimental value and, well, it’s an E-Type. Post photos when you can. Lots of excellent advice here on JL.

–Drew

1 Like

Pure speculation here.

The emergency/parking brake could be frozen in the applied position, locking the rear wheels. Or it could be the clutch disc is stuck to the fly wheel. Jack up the front wheels one at a time and make sure they rotate. Put the transmission in neutral, release the emergency brake and see if the rear wheels rotate.

Oh, and welcome to the world of E-type ownership. You’ve found a place where any problem can be solved given enough time and responses.

2 Likes

Welcome Rob! As Drew mentioned, a massive amount of experience and advice is available from the members here. Best of luck with your most worthy project!

1 Like

Welcome, Rob. I’m relatively new here as well, purchasing my S1 last summer, and found this site to be a wonderful source of information with a nice dash of humor and entertainment. I’m sure you’ll find the members to be very helpful as you return your car to the road.

While all old Jags are special, it’s wonderful that your car provides such a connection to your late father. It’s lucky that someone in the family wanted it to keep that legacy going rather than just have the estate get rid of it. As you go through all the efforts to make it drivable, I’m sure the wonderful memories with your father will remain fresh. Good luck!

2 Likes

Hi Rob. Chances are if it was stored inside the brakes are not frozen badly. If I were doing it the first thing I would do is get a good space in front of it cleared and then back up to it with another vehicle, garden tractor etc., attach a recovery strap to a good solid spot on the front or rear suspension making sure the strap is not going to foul on the body work, and give it a little tug. Have some method to stop the motion if it breaks free. Transmission in neutral, park brake released. If that frees it you are home free. If not then you have to start removing calipers and other fun stuff. If you have to remove calipers do the front first and then repeat the tug. The backs are a pita to work on. Good luck.

Rob,

Welcome to the Forum and to the Joy of owning an E-Type.
Do post a photo.
You will really like this Forum. Everyone is so helpful especially those from Canada!

Dennis 60 OTS Vancouver

1 Like

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum. There are a lot of members here, all over Southern Ontario so you could almost certainly get some help to get your car rolling if you need it.

1 Like

Welcome to the Fun House Rob!

1 Like

As usual, John is right but he neglected to add the most essential element, buckets of money! Great story and welcome to the forum.

1 Like

Welcome, Rob. I think you will get along well here.

Another hint… don’t even step on the brakes. In case they do work a little, the rubber lines are probably old and swollen enough that the fluid can be pressed through them, but not return, holding the brakes on. (See me waving my hands?)

LLoyd

Wherever space and time interact, there is information, and wherever information can be ordered into knowledge, and knowledge can be applied, there is intelligence.
Pavel Mirsky, mid 21st Century Russian General

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum from a newbie, and fellow Floridian. Great stuff to be had here. Pics of the e when you’re able. CHEERS!
Carlo

Hi Rob, and welcome. Now you know that we’re all following this space to see how it goes for you. Like the others I suspect rust on the calipers has possibly made them appear stuck but probably not severely, we hope. As for steering also agree can’t imagine that’s a problem. As mentioned if you put a strap on the car to tug it out of the garage make sure to put it to something substantial, bottom link of the rear suspension would be good to pull it backward. Lower A arm to pull it forward. If you do jack up the car to inspect calipers etc. make sure to put the jack in the proper place. In the front, using a piece of wood under what is called the picture frame (member just ahead of the crankshaft pulley) to lift, in the rear I’d put your jack under the rear axel assembly just between the exhaust pipes, again using a piece of wood to protect the car. If those places don’t work ask questions here.

pauls

1 Like

Welcome to the E-type club, Rob. Ontario’s a big province but if you were to specify the general location of the car one or more of us here might be close enough to lend you a hand. There will be a simple solution to any mobility issue. Beyond the obvious sentimental value, If your ‘68 is a Canadian delivery car it will be just a little more special inasmuch as it will have been fitted with triple SU carburetors from the factory, whereas those shipped originally to the US - representing the majority of ‘68s - were fitted with dual Strombergs.

2 Likes

“We hold these truths to be self evident.” I read that somewhere and it applies here. :grin:

2 Likes

I see from doing a Canada411 search that your farm is located just south of Sarnia - more than three hours west of here so a bit out of reach for me, Rob.

Anybody in the Forum in the Sarnia/Detroit/Windsor area available to help out? @John_M_Holmes, have any ideas?

One thing worth knowing if someone intends to work on the brakes is that jacking the car incorrectly can cause a lot of expensive damage.

The side jack points work well to get both wheels off the ground just so long as the sills are not rusted. That’s unlikely for an Ontario car though.

At the front, a jack should go under the picture frame, the rectangular frame behind the radiator. A long low profile trolley jack is needed for that. Jacking under the rad frame will destroy it and push the rad up into the bonnet.

At the rear, best place is right under the IRS cage bottom tie plate.

Long ago, I puled my '62 out of a barn where it had sat for 6 years and it rolled and steered just fine. We towed it 100 miles to my place on the end of a rope…and had it running next morning. :smiley:

1 Like

Dang Clive, towing a car with a rope is a skill not many know these days, harder than it seems. Towing it 100 miles is a feat!!!
pauls

2 Likes

Indeed it is. My record, behind the wheel of a dead ‘66 MGB with my wife towing using our ‘77 Camaro, is about 25 miles. When her brake lights came on I’d hit mine hard, which caused the rope to snap tight and the Camaro to lurch back, which she found a bit disconcerting. That was 42 years ago - amazingly legal at the time.

I once towed a friend just shy of 100 miles, he, in his highly-tuned, but broken VW Rabbit, and me, in my 1200 Datsun.

Dabney, the VW pilot, said he’d never had as bad a headache.

That might have been one of my last tows on a rope!

Find Peter Egan’s, “Adventures In Towing,” for the most hilarious recollection and observation of towing with a rope.