Rocker Switch Panel Removal

I’m trying to remove my rocker switch panel. I have all the switches out and the two screws oyt at t he top and the one on each side removed. n Where are t he remaining screws holding this thing in place? Am I going to have to remove the radio console and drop the AC evaporator unit to get this thing out?

Also, are the usual suppliers (SNG, Welsh and XKs) only carrying the rocker switch panel with the bolsters surrounding the parking/headlight switches?

There are several screws holding the switch holder into the dash.

And the replacement panels all have the bolster (raised edge) around the headlight switches which is incorrect for the Series 1.5 and very early Series II cars. I ended up fixing mine (you can see the metal pieces I fabricated and epoxied into the holder to fix broken bits). Rumor has it that the bolsters in the replacement panels are simply pinned onto the flat version. You could potentially remove the bolster and fill the holes. Mine after refurb:

The side bolsters on the original panel are aligned with holes in the big piece and corresponding plastic peg(s) in the bolster. I don’t know if they are glued or not. I believe the part number for this panel is C.28616 if that’s helpful. SNG and Welsh show it under this number but it has the bolster. I’ve seen one of the original ones with the bolster removed and as best as I can recall it’s embossed around the opening like the one without the bolster, it just needed the holes filled and painted silver…

Yeh I’m familiar with a busted up panel that looks like yours Doug, with pieces of aluminum epoxied on. It’s in my car. Wiper and heater switches.

Thanks all.

I’ve got it out, had to drop the AC unit to get to the 4 screws that go in vertically from the bottom. I’m going to need to pull a Doug and do some repairs to two of the openings for switches. Good tip on the metal for the repair; I’ve been in the basement looking for something plastic I could destroy for plastic repair stock. Metal is easier. I also am going to have to rebuild two of the round sections that accept the mounting screws.

The good news is all the switches except 1 are totally intact with regard to the retaining tabs. I guess I’ll sit and watch the game tonight while I polish the switch faces.

There has been a thread on this issue in the past. The S 1.5 and early S2 panel without the parking/headlight switch surround is NLA. Jaguar used the same part number for both versions, despite the change, which is somewhat unusual. The earlier version sometimes comes up on eBay. Here’s one that recently sold - I was too slow…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/68-69-70-71-JAGUAR-XKE-E-TYPE-CENTER-DASH-SWITCH-PANEL-BEZEL-SERIES-2-54362522/352770246884?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Mine has several of the tabs that hold the switches broken, so I’m always on the look out for a nice clean used one. That said, some the ones on eBay are worse than mine!

-David

Thanks David. Mine looks pretty easy to repair. It’s in pretty good shape despite who knows how many hopeful bodgers as POs. The switches that occupied the damaged holes were secured with hot melt glue. One of those things I let slide until “later”.

I made repair pieces for this by slicing up a ball point pen (was actually one from Hagerty). Both the panel and pen had plastic that responded well to liquid glue for styrene.

I realize that you E-type owners crave originality. But the later panel with the switch surround has considerable provenance. It is, to my knowledge, the first attempt by Jaguar to introduce something ergonomic into their products, in this case the tactile distinction among a row of identical switches. Radical departures such as stalks on the steering wheel to do everything including tuning the radio would soon follow, but the switch bolster started it all.

I have asked before, but has anyone seen a chrome version of the switch surrounds, rather than silver paint? The photo below is of an NOS panel for sale by David Boger many years ago.

Possibly NOS but it isn’t an E-Type part (note the absence of an interior light switch and the addition of a switch for changing fuel tanks.

XJ6’s had two tanks and switch panels like this - thou don’t recall chrome on them (that’s not to say it wasn’t there) .

I think the panels themselves were common to E-types and saloons…the mylar strip that contained the transparent annotations was different. That’s the only chrome version of a panel I’ve ever seen, period. I

I followed Doug’s advice and epoxied some metal bits in place of the broken plastic. Now the switches stay where they should. No more hot melt glue holding the switches in place and everything is back in place nice and tidy. Well,. . . as tidy as that area ever looks.

2 Likes