Rocker switch removal

Again, I am new as an owner of an E Type 69 OTS and still learning quite a bit from this wonderful forum. I have ordered a RetroSound radio to replace the “Star Wars Death Star” ( saw it referred to this elsewhere) looking radio that the PO had put into it. Ridiculous looking thing! The new radio comes with two USB ports that I would like to use for my cell phone and my usb drive holding my favorite music. Thought about running them into the glove box, then thought about mounting them in place of the unused rocker switch on the far right side. (Anyone know why it is labeled "Fuel-Left-Right?) I had the panel down. Not all the way since it hits on the bottom of the radio console. I felt in with my fingers but cannot figure out how to remove that unused switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are wedge shape tabs on top and bottom to depress slightly with a thin blade to be able to withdraw the switch from the panel. Be very careful since the white plastic becomes quite brittle with age. Notice that the one on the RH side in this ad looks like it already has a tab broken off. I only remove mine as a last resort. My map light switch had been intermittent for years and finally quit working at all so I had to remove it recently for cleaning. One tab did break but I was able to use a little RTV to mend the tab enough to get it to hold in place. Not sure how well it will hold up long term.

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like

Great! That explains exactly what I needed to know. I now know how to proceed without breaking any thing (hopefully). Thanks for your help.

Russ,

Good choice for a radio with modern aspects. As for the switch legend, it’s probably from a Series 1 XJ sedan. A similar switch holder was used in the early XJ’s but the right hand slot was used for a fuel tank selector switch. A true OTS panel legend will have no markings for that switch. In the E-type Coupe and 2+2 that switch was used for a heated rear hatch glass.
Enjoy your new prize and please share your progress and experiences with the car as time goes on.

Cheers,

Dick

74 OTS
99 XJR
1947 Stinson 108-1 “Voyager”

1 Like

I have used a hair dryer to blow some warm air on the switches before attempting to push the tabs which has helped prevent them from breaking.

That would have been from a S1/S2/S3 saloon

Looking at the picture again, just to make sure, does the switch come out from the back or the front of the panel? If from the front, does the rocker have to come off first? Taking a good look at mine, it appears that the switch comes out from behind the panel.

Hi Russ,
The switches come out from the front (towards the rear of the car if the panel is in the closed/up position). The most difficult part of the exercise is getting at the Tab that is closest to the front of the car when the panel is swung to the open/down position; particularly if the panel is restricted from swinging down by the console. A mirror and a light source is an advantage to see the Tab at the front when placing a small screw driver to lever the Tab to disengage it.

When levering the Tabs, apply mild pressure from the back of the switch so that the Tab doesn’t re-engage when the lever is removed. The rockers don’t have to come off and would be pert near impossible to remove them with the switch in place.

Brent

1 Like

Not using a mirror again!! I tried that with a flexible metal shaft mirror that I use quite often. Sparks flew like it was a fireworks display. Nothing damaged as far as I can tell and no fuses blown. However, before the fireworks I was able to see the front tab that you are talking about. Tight fit in there but I’ll come up with something. Decided (actually my wife told me) to wait until the radio gets here on Tuesday before going any further. So, until next week…

Note to self: Disconnect battery, then use the mirror.

1 Like