Ronbros car for sale on Ebay

Anyone notice that Ronbros is selling his car on Ebay $69K

Who is he, and whatā€™s up with his car? Donā€™t know of any XJS worth anywhere near that much ā€¦ :open_mouth: :moneybag:

If I recall correctly, he is from around the Austin, Texas area - he did an outstanding build modification on his V12 engine - he used to post periodically answering questions for us newcomers as he has been ā€œaround the blockā€ for some years.

Link, please.

20 characters

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Jaguar-XJS/224413572717?hash=item3440175e6d:g:xZoAAOSwBj9f7QrX

Thanks. I had searched for ā€œXJ-Sā€ so it didnā€™t come up.

I wonder what Bradley Smithā€™s car would sell for today?

Not my taste to be sure.
And not at any price.
I commend the apparent quality of work but not interested.

He tries since 2019.

Why heā€˜s trying higher pricing I donā€™t know.

I recall Bradley Smithā€™s car on Ebay some years ago for an asking price of around the same money as Ronbros is asking, donā€™t know if it ever sold, though.

I think one of the problems with these extremely modified XJSā€™s is trying to make heads or tails of sorting them out when something goes wrong. As reliable as Ronbros always claimed his car to be, itā€™s still a Jag that has been stored away for years. Jags donā€™t tend to do well waking up after a long hibernation. The car is stored in Texas which is good, but I believe his build is at least 20 yrs old.

There is absolutely nothing wrong Bradley and Robros going way overboard on their builds. The only issue is, they built the cars specially for themselves as ironic as that sounds. Iā€™m pretty sure that I would feel differently if it were my car, but objectively I cannot find the value to be any different than that of a normal XJS in the 15-20k range.

What if I were to point out to you that it has no roof? No roof at all, not even an option to put one in.

I did not know the car was made completely topless. That fact not only contributes to furthering the uniqueness of the car, but at the same time exacerbates the low valuation. What one hand giveth the other taketh away.
Surely the more that is reveled the more of an art form it becomes. I think in this present day this work of art holds little to no value. Thatā€™s not to say that in another 20 years (just picking 20 yrs out of a hat) or so that the valuation could change even more than the current asking price.
I hope that Iā€™m not being misinterpreted and seen as bashing the car because Iā€™m not. In fact I happen to like the car, I just donā€™t think for reasons stated that it commands the selling price. Having said that, watch to see a few people get into a bidding war and blow thoughts and opinions right outta the water, LOL :laughing:

I canā€™t see it fetching anymore than 10% of the asking price. No roof at all, side pipes, flared arches, in desperate need of recommissioning due to long term storage/inactivity - itā€™s just TOO quirky

Andy.

It is indeed very unusual, and it would take an equally unusual person to appreciate its value.

I wonder how this car would do on Bring A Trailerā€¦

Wait a min ā€¦ itā€™s RHD??? :open_mouth: Good luck getting that car to pass here in Texas :-1: ā€¦ and who the heck would want to risk driving RHD here, esp. that $$ of a car? ā€¦

There are RHD cars that have been brought over from Japan. Thatā€™s not a reason it can fail an inspection. From time to time I see old Skylines that have been brought over and they are RHD.

Ah, the car lives in Texas

Well, here in TX (28+ years now) I donā€™t believe I have ever seen a RHD car actually being driven on the roads in this area, although possibly they were at some of the collector auto shows I attended many years ago.

Supposedly so, but does it have VALID TX inspection on it? Only way to know for sure is a photo of the windshield bearing the sticker, although there have been fake stickers going around and sometimes owners take a sticker off another car and put it on a different one. :open_mouth: Not saying Ronbros would have been guilty of doing that, just that it happens. Of course, nowadays the cops rarely just go off the sticker alone at face value - their automatic camera ā€œscan systemā€ scans the license plate while driving and crosschecks with the state inspection and vehicle registration database (and I believe also the car liability insurance verification database) to make sure things match up as they should and are current. :police_car:

Youā€™ve never seen a postal truck? They are RHD. When retired, they are sold to the public, like any other car.

RHD are indeed a pain to drive and own, but thereā€™s no law against it. As long as it meets every safety requirement, a RHD car is perfectly legal, just like any LHD carā€¦in every state!

Itā€™s rare that I see one, and I probably average less than one a year, but theyā€™re out there for sure.

1 Like

O.K., VK. Good point ā€¦