Roof lining colour

Restoring a RHD S1.5 2+2, primose exterior, black interior. I purchased it with rooflining removed (yes - a resto project!). What would have been the original rooflining colour? Black? Or was the colour optional? Also, any recommendations on where to get a rooflining kit? Much appreciated.

Usually beige or grey …. Probably grey in your case

Thanks Danny. Can they be sourced here in Oz?

Material can ….but will need to get a trimmer to make up and install…… are you in Perth?

If you want a pre made one I get my trim out ok Uk in the past but will have it aLl done here when I get my 2+2 done ( 1.5 converted)

I can only speak for my 67 S1 2+2. The original interior is suede green and the headliner is also suede green. The headliner is original and mounted on a fiberboard, not just glued to the inside of the roof. This fiberboard is extremely fragile after 50+ yrs and mine was damaged somewhat upon trying to remove it during the current restoration. I’m in the process of changing out the interior and trying to restore the fiberboard since I cannot find anyone who is reproducing them. All of the places I’ve contacted are telling me to just glue the new headliner and foam to the roof :rage:
That will be my last resort.

Rebuild61OTS: Where did you get your trim from? Yes - I’m in Fremantle. Cheers.

Hi John, Thanks. I’ve surfed the internet looking for the fibreboard, but no luck as you would expect. My upholsterer, who did an E-type rooflining recently, said that the headliner and foam were just glued to the roof. Although it’s not original, it may be an improvement. There’s a slim chance the headliner board could be a moisture trap.

Ah yes the fibre board about 3/8 to 1/2” …… my trimmer also says that it is a bit of a condensation trap . Because of aircon we plan to go onto the roof using a dense foam to replace the fibre board and then the foam backed headlining ….this will stop heat, drumming etc ……many just leave out the board altogether and just glue directly to the roof…. I got mine from Suffolk and turley in Uk for my FHC and had the trimmer fit the interior here…… but my 2+2 that I will be starting on shortly will be a bit different and will loose the +2 interior for an extended forward cubby arrangement and will use mx5 series one seats ( out of USA) ….so will all need to be made here…… my new vehicle will be called a long wheel based grand tourer :relaxed:…… a bit of fun…. Mechanically it will have a all synchro close ratio box with overdrive coupled to a 2.88 rear end ……giving a very comfortable and quiet 1600 rpm at 100 Kph

Hi Danny. I’ll take a look at Suffolk and Turley. The roof lining I’ve seen on offer doesn’t look that special considering it costs a few hundred GBP. Probably something that can be purchased for $10/metre! But because I’m not sure exactly what fabric it is, I may go with it. Your LWB GT sounds like a hoot. Great to seeing people being inventive with their Jags.

Ah here you can buy via any good trim supplier…… try Matt on 0414955325…… you’ll need to know how much you want ….but he is a good bloke and I buy stuff from him….

Hi,

Yes, green headliner was used in all Jaguars 1935-1968 but only if the interior was green (Suede Green).

Black interior almost always had a grey headliner, like also grey and blue interiors. The rest usually had this “fawn” aka beige headliner. I don’t know about some rare interior colours or special orders like a white or “Cream” interior. But I have seen cars with a Black interior and a fawn headliner, but not sure if that was as it left the factory, or if it had some other colour.

Cheers!

PS. FWIW I still have most of the original (faded) headliner from my ex S1 1966 2+2, #1E76372BW and it was glued like that and had a separate piece in the front covering the edge and hiding the top of the windscreen seal, like I think FHC’s had as well. Around the “rear door” aka hatch opening is a PVC fitting that in my case was also Suede Green as were all other PVC ftiings on the A- and B-pillar.

Pekka,
My car still has the original interior. It’s black with a fawn headliner. Of course I can’t be absolutely certain it’s original but so much of the car is stock, I can’t imagine anyone bothered to change it.
Dave

1 Like

You could order any combination of colours you liked if you wished…so maybe it was one of those

Hi Dave,

Thanks, like I wrote i did not know this for sure, only wrote what I had observed. I have no idea if this had something to do with the exterior colour or not.

Cheers!

Hi Danny, the guy you suggested I contact - Matt - is he here in the west or over east? Cheers, Lloyd

Here in the Mexican city :smile:of the Far East :joy::joy:

Hi Freoway3,
I have a 1968 FHC in primrose yellow. The original headliner is suede like beige material.
Bill.

Hi Bill,

What’s the interior colour? Black?

Cheers!

@ptelivuo,
Yes, my coupe has black interior.
Bill.

Dave do you have any pictures of black interior with the beige headliner ?