Rotate inlet camshaft without timingchain on

Hi guys.
Ive been an idiot today. Dont ask me why but i did rotate the inlet camshaft with the timingchain off and the exhaust camshaft in Place. I have my 3.8 engine out of the car so i did rotate by hand with the help off a plier. I felt a Little recistance in one position. I rotated a couple of turns until i relized that it was the valves that hit each other. I must have left my brain elsewhere. Have i bent the valves or im lucky. It is free to call me an idiot.

Jarmo

Nope: almost undoubtedly, you bent valves.

Off with its head!

Often if can be hard to see a very slightly bent valve. If the head was mine after removing all valve springs etc I’d put a slight amount of valve seat grinding material on each seat and rotate the valve several times by hand and see if you get a even ring on the valve, if so that valve is good.

Take the cams off invert the head and fill the chambers with fluid (meths) that’ll soon show any valves that are not seated/bent

1 Like

I would possibly be inclined to run a leakdown test if you have the gear, or even a compression test, before taking the head off, depending on what stage of assembly you have the engine at now. A bent valve will show very low to 0 compression

Hi guys.
Thanks for your posts. The Engine is out off the car so i cant do a compressions test. It had been an easy way to see if the valves are ok. The same day i adjusted the valve clearance. If a valve is bent should it show if i check the clearace again and compare it with my measurements before my stupid mistake ?
Jarmo

If the valve is bent there will be greater clearance

I measured the valve clearance and found that the distance on one exhaust valve was much to big. Head off and found one bent exhaust valve. I can be glad it was just one bent valve. The Valve is replaced and the head is back on the Engine block.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all of you.

Regards

Jarmo

1 Like