Rotunda VCM Power Supply

Anyone know what power supply the original Rotunda VCM requires and whether the centre pin is +ve or -ve?

Thanks

Eric
Shropshire, UK

The VCM is powered by the OBDII connector.
When you plug the VCM cable to the car, the LED status indicators should light/blink.
I have used them at the Jaguar dealer since 2006 when the system was introduced. I have 2 of my own personal VCMs and they simply operate with the car and USB to the laptop.

I have some info on the IDS release notes.

We were required to read and understand the IDS operations.

Here is an excerpt from one of the guides.

The VCM has 3 sockets for external connections, 2 of the sockets are used to connect to IDS and to the vehicle. The 3rd socket is used for a 12V DC power supply, but this is not used on the Jaguar applications. The VCM is powered up via the DLC when it is connected to the vehicles diagnostic socket.
The VCM features 5 LED’s which are used to indicate status. The 5 LED indicators are
visible through the plastic cover of the VCM.

good luck

bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply. Everything is working fine from the OBD socket power and the IDS appears to function as expected. I tested it by changing a few dealer options and programming some keys.

Maybe I was misinformed to start with. I went to buy the current JLR approved VCM from Diagnostic Associates which says it will program all models except flash programming of Engine Control Modules (ECMs) on XJS and pre-2003 XJ and XK models (AJ16, AJ26, AJ27 engines). As I am currently dealing with an X100 with an AJ26 engine I rang them and they told me that these particular modules require a programming voltage that their VCM doesn’t supply. Their tech guy said he thought that the only VCM that would work was an original Rotunda VCM 1 (not VCM II). I assumed, wrongly it seems from what you said, that this programming voltage was derived from the external power socket on VCM. Clearly, from the Jaguar note that you’ve included I don’t need the VCM power supply.

I don’t know why these particular modules are different. I took the ECM apart and it appears to use pretty standard flash memory. It has two processors, and what looks like a backup processor I’m guessing in case the main procs croak.

Anyway, I won’t worry about it any more. Thanks very much for the info.

Eric

Are you using an ORIGINAL VCM (VCM 1 as you put it) ?
I have no experience with VCM II except that it likely will NOT work with the older cars or software.

I am currently running IDS 118.5 (the last version of IDS) and have no need for SDD.

The other VCM I have is setup for IDS 102 (ca. 2006) just for fun. I am running a few DELL C640 laptops in my shop.

If you only need software for cars up to 2009, then IDS 118.5 will be a better choice than to try to use SDD and have it revert to Legacy IDS.

My software/hardware will communicate with all OBDII compliant Jaguars.(1995-2009)

If you need a copy of 118.5 let me know.

bob

HI Bob,

Thank you very much for your generous offer. Actually, IDS 118.5 came with the equipment I bought so I already have it. I also have a TOPIx account and have the latest version of SDD from the JLR website. I have put this onto a different laptop. It’s free to download but to use it this you have to buy a subscription. It’s not all that expensive if you choose model and year specific and you only need to pay for as long as you need, so you can buy an hour or a day or a week etc. The catch is that they have inhibited access to all the security functions, keys, security modules and ECMs unless you are accredited. To become accredited you need to have, amongst other things, 1 million Euro Public Liability insurance and you have to pay JLR GBP150 to process your application whether successful or not. This is in the EU; I don’t’ know about other territories. At this stage I haven’t proceeded as I probably don’t need it right now.

Eric

1 Like