Rubber bump stops for bonnet

Sorry to risk repetition, but could someone tell me the number of rubber bump stops in the wing flanges of a 140DHC please? Viart remains silent on this.

I’ve found an old thread that mentions 6, but fails to say whether this is total or 6 per side. The same thread mentions 5 for the FHC, and as it’s unlikely to be an odd number total I assume both numbers mean ‘per side’. My car has 6 holes in each flange so I guess that’s correct?

If not, which are these are correct?

Roger:

In “The Original Jaguar XK”, Porter (2003) he shows a photo of the engine compartment of a 140 DHC (p.91) in which 2 stops each side are visible, however, the area adjacent to the radiator is not in view. On p.96 a better photo of a OTS shows 3 stops per side. Either way I think that your number of 6-7 per side does not look accurate. I am sure our antipodean friend will provide the correct number.

Chris.

Five a side on mine, fatrly sure the spacings are original.
Peter B

1 Like

Five! Wasn’t expecting that

Yes, but isn’t that a 150 with a wider bonnet? I’m looking at original pictures. It’s difficult to see from the photos I took but I can see three each side from the back up to the cross-brace. It’s possible there are more lower down but I can’t tell. I would have thought the bonnet only need support on the horizontal part but maybe not. I will check when I get home.

BD.4616 BUFFER, IN FLANGE OF FRONT WINGS, FOR BONNET REST - 6pcs.

Page 128 of SPC.

Worth a read…

Tadek

Not 150 Eric, 120…Buffers at the grill area are fitted.
Peter B

Oh, sorry, my mistake. I could have sworn I could see three carbs.

Eric

You were not the only one!!!

My XK140DHC has three bump stops per side.
The centers of the two front bump stops, positioned just to the rear of the radiator, are 495 mm apart.

1 Like

Could it be Roger that the factory fit of the bonnet determined the quantity of buffers fitted, the variance in build quality is often mentioned on this
forum.
Peter B.

That had ocurred to me too, Peter. I’m not sure why they would need any on the more vertical surfaces, though.

As I said, I was in Woodham Mortimers today and had a feel of a few XK bonnets, including RDA 830, a true survivor which features in various books. None had perfect bonnet fits in this area, and one or two were way off. RDA’s sits markedly over to the right of centre - and that car has had no accident damage. As I like my cars to be as close to ‘dealership’ condition as possible, I’ll probably not do any more with the bonnet. Not a fan of over-restored cars - this reminds me of a dealer I knew a few years back who had a '63 GTO in that had some truly apalling welding visible under the bonnet. I asked if he was planning to tidy it up: ‘it’s factory,’ he said, ‘so not unless I want to wipe a couple of million off the value!’

way to many in rogers picture at top and very much doubt they used more on some cares than others!
terry

Could it be Roger that the factory fit of the bonnet determined the quantity of buffers fitted, the variance in build quality is often mentioned on this
forum.
Peter B.

Roger veiwed from the front of the XK or from the drivers seat?
BTW is RDA 830 a 120.

Yes 3 are fitted Eric so, no need to visit specsavers !

1. I love it…

Right side of the car, Peter. From the driver’s seat.

My 120 has 3 rubber bumpers per side, the front-most even with the radiator.

Ditto mine.

And mine(FHC)…