Rubber bump stops for bonnet

I understand this thread started inquiring about the: rubber BUFFERS, IN FLANGE OF FRONT WINGS, FOR BONNET REST (as described in J.15 SPC) for an XK140 DHC.
These are detailed as part number BD.4616 and as requiring 6-off per car, as per page 179, and indeed illustrated in Plate AK.85. (Note, same 6 off BD.4616 for XK140 OTS and FHC despite the FHC having a 4-1/4" shorter Bonnet)

When I was writing Jaguar XK140 EXPLORED, my priority was ‘no errors’ ahead of ‘nothing missing’, and indeed although I had only just started on a number of body fittings aspect these BUFFERS were a casualty of running out of time with a FIXED deadline for publication committments. So PLATE 7-f1 (OTS and DHC) illustrates position for 2x buffers only (no label nor detail), and Plate 7-f8 (one illustrated, labelled BD.4616 Rubber Buffer for Bonnet Rest x6) is as far as I achieved, sorry :frowning:

(Now I note that steel bodied XK120s list the same six off BD.4616, but aluminium XK120s list only four, and a different BD.4321 Rubber Buffer)

Now by recollection, and I cant quickly locate my research notes from back in 2010, but I recall that although six buffers (three each side) was the usual and expected norm, but with no fixed positions apart from located as lhs/rhs pairs - so I suspect positioned to best suit each particular XK140 bonnet fit after painting. There were on occasion original XK140s with other than six buffers, and indeed often in other than the ‘usual’ six spacings/locations.

Again I recall, that back then I attributed other than six buffers in the approximate usual locations as abnormalities. I presumed this to be an accepted quality control practice of the day, for these ‘hand-made’ bodies that sometimes were on the edge (or beyond) of acceptable tolerances, bonnet to wing-flange, where extra buffers, and/or relocated buffers could contribute to a more satisfactory bonnet closure/security and anti-rattle/scuffing.

With an original XK140, my best advice is to simply identify the six original holes/positions and reinstate new good quality BD.4616 Buffers, or if other than six reinstate what was there originally.
If you are repairing accident damage, or fair wear and tear deterioration, or indeed undergoing a significant restoration of bonnet and/or wings then the goal should be a good secure fit, utilising six only BD.4616 buffers.

If in a Concours situation - my position would be, if an unrestored XK140, I would EXPECT six rubbers, but would be receptive to more or less. But if car was restored, then I would not accept other than six rubbers, and debit poor fit/excessive gaps, and indeed any signs of paint damage/scuffing as a ‘condition’ matter.

I am loath to show any ‘original’ XK140 photos, given above variables, but for example see attached view of typical rear pair of buffers (without too much distraction regrading other ‘problems’, noting the unusual position of the original Radiomobile Amplifier, as fitted new by the Australian Distributor)…

I am reasonably sure the inner engine valence panel has the pre-punched holes for the BD4616 and the wing as well ie holes were not drilled after the event. These holes may have been used a jig arrangement to spotweld wing outer to vertical engine valance panels.
I believe there were very very few holes drilled into the body work after car built and or painted , most if not all are pre-punched into panels in the manufacture process ie no bur underneath excepting trimming screws
terry

picture is of car 807015 for reference nice car interesting history!

Peter,

My 120 has five per side plus one on the chin for when the bonnet closes, making 12 all up. Spacing is almost identical to yours. What chassis number is yours, mine is 660365.

Matt

That makes sense, looking at my 140. The factory holes (i.e. the original 6) are clearly not drilled after the event. The flange in this area comprises the outer skin and the inner wheelarch, so is a double thickness - and none of the holes in both skins align exactly. Clearly the holes were made in the panels and the panels then joined.

I’ve welded up the rogue 6 holes now, so have what the factory prescribed. The bonnet doesn’t have any apparent problems with this for fit, but we’ll see when the metalwork is finished.

1 Like

I wonder if they are the same as the rubber bumper used on an E Type fuel cap lid?

I think the part number was different - I’ve just ordered some BD4616 and fuel filler flap bump rubbers were displayed in the list, sure the number was different. I think they’re taller.

Matt 5 each side and one on the chin add up to 11 or did you mean a double chin:smile:
Chassis number is 680 466 FHC now with a roadster body, (it`s on XK data).
The wings are original, although not FHC, so the buffer holes would seem to be correct.
This is possibly one area of detail where - The gospel according to St whoever, unless he/she
worked on the line, can be taken with a pinch of salt. Three each side with the forward buffer
adjacent to the rad yes!, but depending on the fit of the bonnet each side of the grill, a problem area, perhaps additional buffers were added, who knows if in the day owners complained that
the bonnet/hood was degrading the paint on the wings, so additional buffers were added by
a dealer. I wonder if a SB exists?
Peter B.

I am glad the memory still works!

Roger the reason I ask is the effect the bonnet prop has on allignment.
The 120 prop twists the bonnet considerably to the left, bonnet open of course!
A 140 less so but biased to the right.
In the life of a XK, (or any other Jaguar) what percentage, timewise, is the bonnet raised I wonder,
and in the case of the XK is this relevent to allignment issues.
Peter B.
(slightly tongue in cheek)

Double chin :slight_smile:
Didn’t the bonnet change in design after the early models with more strengthening?

Yes Matt the later 120 bonnet has the addition of a brace, like the centre brace, welded
just aft of the grill opening.
Peter B.