Rubber for Heater Mounting - Later Type MKV

Hello All,

Does anyone have a photo of the “Rubber for Heater Mounting”, Part Number C.3999? It sits between the scuttle / firewall and the heater mounting bracket of the later type heater unit, which sits inside the car (as per photo). I will need to fabricate one and it would make things easier if I knew what it looked like rather than just guessing.

Cheers,

Tim

Apparently nobody has an intact one.
I remember a few fragments in there. It looked to me like the idea was to block off those long slots where the two pipes go through, so you don’t get water and fumes from the engine bay in the interior.
So I imagine C.3999 was a sheet of rubber with holes and slits for the pipes and perhaps some holes for the mounting screw studs.

Hi Rob,

I imagined that an original one would be nearly impossible to fin after such a long time. I was simply going to buy a sheet of suitable rubber or something similar and just cut out the shape of the mounting plate for the heater with corresponding holes to accommodate the pipes and mounting bolts. A friend from the Jag Club here said that he used rubber sheet 4 to 5mm thick.

This is my car with the mounting bracket still in place. The rubber mount might still be there?

Cheers,

Tim

Timothy Fox

Timothy2963@gmail.com

So you have rubber between the bracket and the scuttle?
Something is odd here. My bracket is spot welded to the scuttle and those 3 bolts on the bottom the heads are welded to the scuttle on the engine side.
What is your body number? Mine is G6468.

Hi Rob,

You might well be right about it being welded to the scuttle. I’ll need to have a closer look next time I’m at the car. It looked as though the rubber mount went between the mount and the scuttle as the two elongated holes where the right angled heater pipes go looked to be filled with perished rubber.

Where do you think the rubber mount goes?

My car is a 1951 model, body G10217

Cheers,

Tim

This is interesting, always something new to learn about these cars.
Conveniently, the SPC gives chassis numbers for when the early type heater on the scuttle was changed to the later type inside the car.
Counting up, we find that 4564 saloons had the early heater.
Body numbers began at G1001.
My body is the 5468th body, so presumably the 904th to have the new heater.
Perhaps they either had a different rubber sealing arrangement, or did not put anything at all in mine. Maybe they realized later that they needed something better.
Your body is the 9217th of approximately 9502 made. If you have rubber in between your bracket and the scuttle, your bracket is probably not spot welded to the scuttle.

Hi Rob,

I’ll send you a few photo’s when I get round to taking off the bracket which will be several months away. I’m hoping that it’s not welded to the scuttle.

Cheers,

Tim

Timothy Fox

Timothy2963@gmail.com

Well, while looking for the defroster vents, I found this.

So now I can describe that rubber pad.
1/8" thick soft rubber with thin linen fabric on both sides either glued or otherwise stuck onto the rubber.
Cut to shape with 2 round holes for the pipes and 9 for the bolts.

Hi Rob,

That’s great that you have found the rubber gaskets for the heater as I now know (as do many others thank you!) what it looks like. I wonder what the purpose of the fabric was? I don’t think I’ll follow that and just leave it rubber.

Cheers,

Tim