Rubber mounts for tranni XK 120

Hello Folks,
I have a 54 120 coupe with standard tranni. I pulled the two round rubber mounts out and they are separated top from bottom and I can’t tell what height they were originally. i have some spare parts that would suffice. Would anyone venture a guess on the height of the rubber on originals? My guess is somewhere around an inch?

Thanks

Wes Keyes
York, Maine

My repops are 1 1/16". With a bit of weight, call it an inch.

XKs has them at $19 if what you have doesn’t work.

Thanks guys,
The pic looks like what I have in my stash.

I love using stuff I already bought!

Wes Keyes

1 Like

Look like the same bobbins for early E Types.

Hi Rob, is there a way to replace those with the trans mounted up? I couldn’t see a way to get to the top nuts. :thinking:

The 3.8 E takes a slightly different mount with a different part no. C12677.

To change these on a late 120, I think you would want to first take off the 4 bolts holding the mounting plate and shield to the gearbox, then you can get the plate out and get to the top nuts on the spools.
C4476 and C4308

Hold on… Where’d that flat plate come from? A mud shield a’fore the rubbers?

I ain’t got one.

NUTS. Another part to make.

Yes, C4476, we talked about it in Oct '07, used on late 120 and late Mark V. Urs Schmid called it a buckler in his book.
It is made from .040" thick plain steel, 7.25" wide and 5" front to rear
before bending.
Mark a 4 hole pattern 1-9/16" x 6-11/32" on centers, with the first 2 holes
centered 13/32" from the edge. This seems like an oddball hole pattern to
me, so I would compare it to the hole pattern on the gearbox and if its
different go with that. Maybe the factory hole puncher was a little bit
careless in his work.
The holes are 13/32" diameter. Then the bend is in the center of the 5" side
so you have 2.5" horizontal and 2.5" downwards, but the bend is not quite 90 degrees, more like 85.
Try it first with a piece of cardboard to see how it turns out.

Buckler may be a relic of a translation anomaly from the German Schutzschild to English, where both shield and buckler are military equipment, but only shield is used for auto parts.

2 Likes

Thanks Rob, I’ll check that out on ours. When I replaced the motor mounts I ordered the tranny support spools but didn’t see a clear way to get to the top nuts. Mark S676095

The top nuts are tough to get to. I gave up and pulled the plate first (coming apart anyway).

Thanks Rob.

Thanks, i’m hoping I can support that part of the trans with my floor jack and try to remove that plate with rubber spools. I am not planning on removing the transmission. We’ll see what happens, it may not be possible. I appreciate the great support from this forum!

Rob,

The term “Buckler” intrigued me a bit as it’s the brand name for a non-alcoholic beer here in Europe (made by Heineken).
As far as I understand, Urs had all his work translated from German into English, so apparently someone with a “native English tongue” came up with the word Buckler. I guess you’re right that Urs probably used a German word like “Schutzschild” or “Schutzblech”.
The word Buckler doesn’t exist in the German language. Closest comes the word “Buckel” but that is German for a “humpback” or “hunchback” and also was the nickname for a (German) Ford model produced just after WW2.

Regards,
Bob K.

1 Like