Rubber Rear Main Oil Seal

good idea , but there was little information about this very subject 1994, V12 Jaguar rope seal, at least as i could find, NO usable internet , do me no good i was just barely able to turn computer on!
(i dont think i have progressed much now, i get a problem i call next door nieghbors 15yr old kid).
if i was gonna take the engine out i would absolutly use a Neoprene lip seal!
ron

Hello Mark, good evening from Rome. I have the same trouble on my v12 from 1973. I’m interested in using the Ford seal but I didn’t understand what kind of works needs the crank; does the crank need grinding? and what is the dimension required to fit the seal? Seems that the seal you used are an upgrade to the original rope JV730 used on the Ford engine. The oil seal still dosen’t drop oil? Best Regards Michele

Hi Michele,
My engine rebuilder told me that they mill/grind the oil slinger groove off the crank. then build up the area using some kind of welding process, called subarc welding apparently. This builds up the crank to the correct diameter for the ford lip seal.
Im sorry I cant tell you the diameter of the Ford seal. If you google the part number of the seal that I photo posted earlier in this thread, you may find more information.
No Oil leaks so far.

Cheers

A very cool technique, which allowed me to save many an otherwise-unusable crank.