Rubber trim pieces on doors/window channel

Having installed the driver side and thinking about it…I think I may have installed it incorrectly.

Working on the passenger door now. I believe the “rounded” edge faces the outer side of the car…and the “channeled” piece therefore faces inward. Toward the bottom of the chrome channel is a slit. Does the trim slide all the way down in to this slit somehow…or does it simply lay on top? Do I have to take the chrome piece off in order to get the trim underneath it? What am I missing here?

Dave,
I don’t think the trim profile you have in this photo is correct. I could be wrong but on my windows the rubber seals have a rectangular profile that locks into the chrome channel and there is a lip that come out from the base in the center with a slightly curved profile. The seal lip is able to be slid down into the channel and the lip goes through the slot you show. At least that’s what I’ve done. There was some confusion in my mind as to which direction the curve should be facing, and in the end I opted to have it curve outward - because it let the doors close and seal easier against the seals on the body.

Thanks for the reply…although I should have been more specific. My car is an OTS and the piece of trim I speaking of is on the forward portion of the door…along the “A-Pillar” section.

Dave,
Same comments apply, The seal lip is pushed down into the slot you asked about.

I’m about to install the same piece of weather stripping on my S3 and it makes the most sense to me to have the “lip” of the seal point outwards from the car.
Not only will the door close without “struggling” with the seal, is will also provide a more natural seal.
By the weekend I should be addressing this task and able to post pictures.

… Ole

Your photo shows the B pilar. However, the orientation appears correct if it was the A pillar.

Clive, pretty sure that picture is the RH door leading edge ie A post seal.

Dave, you’re right, my bad…tiny screen is my excuse.
Anyway, your orientation looks correct but there are lots of variations and differences in suppliers rubber seals and if one won’t fit, another might.

Thanks for the comments. I have been busy with other projects and will have more time to work on the car next week. I will also post better pics for proper orientation and identification purposes.

Tomorrow the LA Jag Club is having a picnic and I am sure some E-types will be there…unfortunately I can not attend…I will be driving at the Porsche Experience Center in Carson all day…second job I landed as a driving coach!!

As promised…more pics. This is the drivers side door trim installed and already cut to length

This is the “orientation” I chose…lip is facing outward.

My first pic above shows the lip installed facing inboard on the passenger door.

My question revolves around the slit in the metal body of the door. Purpose? Does the new seal slide all the way down that slit? If so I am absolutely sure the “lip” of the new seal needs to be trimmed off…or maybe the orientation…lip outboard or inboard makes a difference.

Thoughts?

Dave,

Maybe this is not helpful because my car is a FHC, but the seal looks different – wider lip, and the whole thing aligns correctly with that slit in the door, which is supposed to get the extended part of that lip.

Jerry

So…I am absolutely NOT sure that the lip needs to be trimmed then!!

Thanks Jerry!

Lip faces outboard and slides all the way down the slit!!

Dave,
Series II OTS lip…

Marco

That would be my view on the topic as well.
Mind you, mine is an S3 OTS, does not have the slit and I haven’t installed that seal yet.

… Ole