Rubber Trunk/Boot lid buffers for 420G and MK X probably

Jaguar part number BD21896. These are two rubber buffers that fit in the trunk/boot lid to cushion the lid when closing it. SNG, XKS, and the usual haunts don’t have them, discontinued.

Any ideas?

Aren’t they very similar to the rubber buffers in the doors? A truncated cone, roughly 1/2" high, base about 1/2" dia?

Nope. There are no buffers in the doors on a 420G, well not that I am aware of. The ones in the trunk lid are basically rectangular with an angle to them or half a cube if you like, here is a pic of one,

They are to stop the lid hitting the body work when you slam the lid shut. The normal rubber that seals the lid is too soft to prevent the lid edge hitting the bodywork. At the moment I have some stick on foam strips which look crap.

A similar piece for a similar purpose on the E-Type hatch and XJ boot lid is
part # BD.31972. It’s a rubber wedge about 1” long by ¾” wide with a screw
hole in the center. Perhaps it could be modified to suit your purpose.

Mike Eck
New Jersey, USA
www.jaguarclock.com
'51 XK120 OTS, '62 3.8 MK2 MOD, '72 SIII E-Type 2+2

Thanks Mike, I looked at these on xks part superseded number BEC14310 they are a very thin wedge so I doubt if they would work. If I can’t get the exact ones then the best option would be to make my own out of a solid cube of the right type of rubber…finding that may also prove difficult.

www.mcmaster.com http://www.mcmaster.com/ has raw materials in various
shapes, sizes and hardness.

Mike Eck
New Jersey, USA
www.jaguarclock.com
'51 XK120 OTS, '62 3.8 MK2 MOD, '72 SIII E-Type 2+2

Oh my word! What an awesome site, there’s stuff on there that can help me finish several projects!

That looks very much like the hood/bonnet stop on my (long gone) 450SL. It might be worth investigating.

Ron