Rumble, growling and slight vibration?

The down side of having a new quiet 5 speed transmission is I am now hearing all these new noises. At 80+ mph the E has a rumble and vibration, went through looking for causes. Wheels have no play and same for U-joints and differential. Readjusted exhaust system, lowered mufflers so there was no longer body contact, noise persisted.
Wanted to simulate on the road conditions. With car on lift I lowered rear wishbones on to jack stands so at normal ride height. With engine at 2K rpm and in 2nd gear wheels are rotating and found a rumble at right rear hub, now the fun begins?
I have not done this job before, just read about it on the forum. My question is if I am able to take hub apart and replace bearings and seals and reassemble with existing spacer should I be good? Or is it necessary to order additional spacers?
Glenn

I’d check for tight u-joints.

1 Like

My very limited experience with U-Joints is they wear and are loose. I am original owner of the E and U-Joints were always kept well lubed. Car does not have wire wheels, but has original chrome steel wheels with wheel covers. When wheel cover is removed there is less noise. With a stethoscope on hub, noise is louder at inside of hub than outside, maybe U-Joint or bearing?
Glenn

They also can get tight, and cause…rumbling. Seen it a bunch.

To get to the outer U-Joint do I still have to pull hub? If that is the case I think I would replace U-Joints and hub bearings.
Glenn

Yes, but you can probably feel if its tight.

Whenever I had to change the hub bearings, I automatically changed the U joints too.

How do I feel if it is tight without taking everything apart?

You already save me once with my non rocking shim problem!
Glenn

With the hub out, shaft removed, you should be able to ‘circulate’ the u joint, at its margins of motion, w/o any ‘sticking.’

The motion I speak of is moving the shaft, such that it describes a cone, while the hub, or stub axle, is held motionless.

A tight joint will resist that smooth motion.

1 Like

To answer that part of the question… maybe.

But you won’t know until you reassemble the hub and in any case you’ll need either the Jaguar J15 tool or a .150" spacer to measure what thickness is needed.

Additionally, many feel things are better with less float (or no float) instead of the shop manual spec.

My bearings (left rear) developed a rumble that I could hear if driving with the hood up and no luggage. Upon careful listening I could just barely hear it with that corner elevated and slowly turning the wheel.

Could be either bearings, either U-joints
If no obvious play at the U-joints or hub bearings the only way to find out is to disassemble.

This might also help:

2 Likes

Update, I was easily able to remove hub carrier from half shaft with use of a small puller I have (five peg wheels). I have not removed half shaft from brake disc yet. Outer U-Joint has a flat spot in one axis so they will have to be replaced. Before taking things apart I checked tires/wheels for any play and there was none. With the hub carrier on the bench there is lot of play in and out and sideways and spinning the hub there is noise. Do not know if I am evaluating this correctly? I am thinking the bearings are very worn? Briefly looking at the manual is a little difficult to understand how to press out bearings if necessary?
Glenn

Glenn,

Some of the photos from here may help:

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/103828674713622568266/album/AF1QipMw4_J6wO3svnvzvyfM4TuIECeKLhBxMwyLLIiE/AF1QipPJnB19h9MG1RJA9hl-o_VkK50QICMuU5q0p9a_?authKey=COLOucO80_n25wE

Thanks David
Between the link you supplied and some YouTube posts I think I have got it.
Glenn

The manual specifies end- play on the hub bearings, so some play is normal.
You should measure it though because too much play is not good.