Run in with Park Ranger on BSOL

Some how I got separated from the group when coming down the winding road from Glacier National Park. I “may” have been going a little too fast down the hill. The park ranger going up the hill “may” also thought I was going too fast because when I looked in my mirror I saw he had turned on his flashing lights. I knew it would take him a little time to turn around because of traffic on the road. I had gone into a turn and thought I was out of his line of sight, so I turned down a side road that led to parking area with restrooms and trail heads. I parked car behind this stone retaining wall that would block sight from road above. In all this excitement needed to use restroom, do my business and when I come out there is a rangers truck blocking my car. I look away and head for trail down to lake, figured I would wait him out.
Hiked for about 10 minutes and meet a couple on trail and they warned me about grizzly bears. Let’s see risk being eaten by grizzly or take my chances with ranger? Head back to car and peek through trees to see if ranger was still there and he was gone. I got lucky, my plan worked.

Glenn

1 Like

Definitely “smarter than the average bear”.

2 Likes

Smart move !
I did something similar with a Texas High Way petrol who missed the opportunity to issue a ticket for doing 90+mph :slight_smile:

Probably would have just received a warning and some discussion about your car.

I once was pulled over by a Harris County (Houston area) sheriff who told me, “You were going 15 over but I’m not going to write you a ticket because I really like this car”.

1 Like

Glenn - Too bad you turned back from your hike, this family was waiting to have lunch with you:

Actually, we met these Grizzlies in Grand Teton National Park.

Great story…but also a good way to turn a minor driving infraction into a felony evading arrest conviction. Not saying I haven’t done the same :smirk: just saying that it may not be a risk worth taking.