S 1 fuel line connectors?

I mangled the fuel line coming in to the engine compartment filter while removing the engine. The remnant fuel line seems to be ok; I just want to replace the 10" or so between the banjo and the existing line.
Modern fuel line has a thinner wall than the milky white stuff that Jaguar used back in the 60s, so the connectors I’ve found don’t fit.
Can anybody recommend a means of connecting the old 5/16" i.d. line to a replacement 5/16" line?
Thanks,
Jake

The milky white stuff is not too pricey to just replace the whole thing. Just heat the tubing in boiling water to assemble/disassemble.

It’s not clear which line you’re referring to. Is it the line from the carbs to the filter, or from filter to firewall, or the line that runs from the boot bulkhead to the firewall? If it’s either of the first two, it would be easiest to just replace with the correct assembly. The nylon line from carb to filter is quite cheap and easy to replace. The hard line from firewall to filter is a bit more expensive but also easy to replace. It feels that trying to repair either of these by splicing in something different would just be a kluge.

Do you mean item #41 in this diagram?

I assumed he has an early model, nylon all the way from pump to filter.

It would help if you told us which year your car is because they have different types of lines.

The easiest way to get new nylon line onto a fitting is to take two half inch pieces of wood. Clamp them together and drill a hole at the edge right on the seam between the two pieces. The hole needs to be a little smaller than the diameter of the fuel line. Boil the end of the line and clamp it so that enough is sticking out of the wood for the fitting barb to go in all the way. Then tap the fitting in the exposed end of the line.

Thanks for your replies.
On my 65 S1 4.2, it’s a single line from the bulkhead at the back of the car to the fuel filter in the engine compartment. The line was disrupted at a point about 10" below the fuel filter.
Replacing the whole line means removing the rear suspension sub-frame, since the junction at the rear bulkhead is inaccessible with the sub-frame in place.
I was hoping to splice in a section of fresh fuel line between the filter and what remains of the existing line.
Again, thanks,
Jake

What would you use as your splice union? Unless you managed to pierce it, you’re probably better off leaving it be until you have to do something on the IRS. That line is pretty durable stuff.

Jake am I right in assuming that you want to splice a nylon/rubber hose onto the steel line under the car and then to the fuel filter, or to a stubbed steel line out of the filter?

I’m wondering if you need a compression fitting like this:

Terry,
I’d like to splice a section of 5/16" i.d. nylon line onto the existing 5/16" nylon line.
Jake

Terry,
Can you tell me who makes this fitting and where it might be available?
Thanks,
Jake

If you are splicing nylon to nylon I don’t know why one of these wouldn’t work, assuming you could find one in the proper size.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Freeman-3-8-in-x-3-8-in-Male-to-Male-Barbed-Coupler-Z3838MMBC/203518338?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25H-G-D25H-25_28_COMPRESSORS_AND_AIR_TOOL-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Compressors_PLA&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25H-G-D25H-25_28_COMPRESSORS_AND_AIR_TOOL-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Compressors_PLA-71700000052227371-58700005026398229-92700043892083304&gclid=CjwKCAiA_MPuBRB5EiwAHTTvMVBvVkSwFtL6Q85Yu0M3Mfb2YrG9kHUU0-eEJbUzBsjHrWPYGDYkchoCsXMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If it’s just a nylon-to-nylon splice, it seems pretty simple:

5/16 Barbed Coupler on Amazon

Thank you very much.
Simple, elegant, unobtrusive.
Why didn’t I think of this…
Thanks again,
Jake

Jake,
Take another look at your fuel line - when the design changed from Nylon flex line from the rear bulkhead to the Fuel filter, the hard line was added. In most hard line installations I’ve seen there is a union just below the passenger’s foot well (for LHD cars). If you don’t have this, it’s an easy job to install one. You just need to cut the end of the existing line and add the length you need. Here is an example of what these unions look like:

1 Like

Jake Hydraulic supply stores typically have the best selection of these fittings, althou what you’re looking for is so simple you may be able to get it at a car parts store.