S-II Triple SU Conversion

Hi All,
I have started a triple SU conversion on my 69 Series 2. I have removed the dual Strombergs and disconnected hoses etc. But trying to remove the inlet manifold seems a bear of a job. I can easily get to the bolts across the top of the manifold where it attaches to the cylinder head, but its extremely difficult to get access to the bolts underneath. Is there a trick to this or is it just a matter of removing more items to gain better access.
For those that have done this on a series 2, could you let me know the best way to attack this.

Many Thanks
Jay

Yes. Move as much as possible out of the way. Then patience, strained tendons and ligaments, skinned knuckles, the odd cuss word and a box-end wrench turning nuts an excruciating half flat at a time. Next comes a struggle to get the manifold off.

Ah, memories. Quality time. Think of it as a dividend of getting to know your E-type more intimately.

2 Likes

Nick has good advice. To this I would add getting to the nuts from underneath. I had the front up on jack stands (solidly in place on the front suspension lower fulcrum blocks) so I could reach up from underneath using a variety of box-end wrenches. A shorty helps in places (last nut closer to firewall). Switching wrenches from time to time breaks up the monotony of turning nuts a flat at a time and gives the feeling that progress is being made. It is, donā€™t forget that. :slight_smile:

ā€“Drew

I am just finishing my triple SU conversion on my 68, which Iā€™ve been working on since just after the start of the new yearā€¦ I got the bottom nuts off without too much difficulty. A set of ratcheting combination wrenches proved handy, as they could fit where a socket couldnā€™t. Other nuts were done with an open end wrench, one flat at a timeā€¦

I did not raise the car at all. However I did completely remove the air cleaner assembly to give me access.

Finally, I removed the secondary intake manifold first, in order to get access to the primary manifold nuts. Once all the nuts were off, I ended up reinstalling the secondary manifold to give me some leverage in my efforts to get the primary off from the head

Try doing it on a MK11 or an ā€˜Sā€™ type, then you will know pain my friends :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Jay, Amen to advice already given. I have also found that by removing the distributor cap and rotor (total dizzy-ectomy even better) you can reach well underneath the intake manifold and reach most of the awkward nuts. A good box-end wrench and patience will win through. Pic attached shows the area under the carbs that can be reached just above the water transfer pipe. best regards, Brian / Mytype

I just got home from squirting my ZS car around a few corners and it has always seemed quite lively to me since removing the secondary butterflies. I guess I need to find someone local that will take me on a good ride in a SU car. I have never been in one. I did drive a triple Weber car once but did not seem too superior to my car. I am thinking about doing the distributor advance curve mods but am I living in blissful ignorance about converting to SUā€™s ?

David
68 E-type FHC

The main, numero uno, advantage of the triple SUs over the dual Stoms is eye candy, David. There is a slight improvement in performance but the difference is not anywhere near the ā€œholy crap!ā€ level.

2 Likes

Yep donā€™t want to get into the proā€™s/cons of SU versus Stroms. I have them and they are going on.
Itā€™s a bear of a job removing the old inlet as there very little access. I am having most success going in above the frame and distributor but it gets progressively more difficult as you try to get to the bolts near the bulkhead. The first bottom bolt near the bulkhead is easy but the 2nd one is very difficult and the 3rd one has a bent bracket to hold the pipe below so is nearly impossible.
So far I have removed the distributor cap and rotor, the oil filter, the oil pressure sensor, the air filter, and some of the metal panelling on the frame rail. Still not good enough access to fit my arm in.
From below there is no access due to the starter motor. I think if I removed that or the brake booster I may just have enough access.

Am I missing something here, or is this the same experience others have had ?

Jay

As I wrote earlier Iā€™m just finishing the same job. Didnā€™t have so many problems with the nuts.

A couple of ideas.

1 the bracket on the third bolt. My bracket went straight down, and didnā€™t interfere with the nut removal. so if yours is in the way just bend it down.

2 I mentioned earlier that I used a ratcheting box end wrench on the nuts near the firewall.

3 have you removed the secondary manifold? It makes access much easier.

Reading your post, do you must have a right hand drive car? You mention metal panels ( I assume heat shields) on the frame and brake booster in the way??

Hereā€™s a picture of mine. Still have some details to sort out, including swapping spark plug wires

4 Likes

Hereā€™s what it looked like when I started

Very nice ! I recall reading that other changes are required in order to get all the benefit from the SUā€™s . Cams, distributor, timingā€¦maybe all three?

Marco

No mine is LHD, the metal panel was in front of the brake booster, in the frame rails next to the oil pressure sensor, I just removed it in case I could get better access.
You mentioned to remove the secondaries manifold. I thought the whole inlet manifold was one piece from where the strombergs connect, to where it attaches the cylinder head, as it looked like a single casting and I did not see any bolts to disconnect. I just took a look and I see there are 4 bolts hidden behind the secondaries inlet on the head side, which connect it to the main inlet.
So I guess this is what I was missing. Iā€™ll try to get to than after a cup of tea and some deep breaths.

Jay

Marco,
Distributor and timing definitely, cams I donā€™t think soā€¦ mines a 68, and other than United States, everyone else was still getting triple SUā€™s so my guess is the cam is the same.

My biggest objective was removing the visual and ā€œmechanicalā€ clutter the strombergs created, combined with my familiarity, and resulting comfort level, of SUā€™s. I know how they work and have had numerous cars that had them. The strombergs are a mystery to me.

If Iā€™m out on a drive an have an issue I can easily address the SUā€™s if needed.

Yes! Correction! There are four accessed from the back, along the bottom see pic below.

There were also four more, which are the top two nuts you removed when you took off the carbs. Those top four studs that held the two carbs are long studs attached to the primary manifold, that pass through the secondary manifold. Iā€™ll send you a pm with my phone number if you want to call and I can explain better Iā€™m in Walnut Creek and I think youā€™re in San Jose
Robert

That was the trick. Getting to those 4 nuts on the back of the secondaries is not easy but its a lot easier than getting to the inlet bolts. Managed to loosen them off and then use a ratchet spanner to get them the rest of the way. Once off I had much better access to bolts 2 & 3. Although the bent bracket was under bolt 3, the nut sat a little proud so was able to get enough on there to loosen and remove. A couple of thwracks with a mallet to a bit of 2 by 4 broke the seal and was able to remove everything.

I am indeed down the road in San Jose, maybe our paths will meet sometime.

InletManifoldRemoval_small

Many thanks for the information.

Excuse my asking, but what is going on with your ignition? It sure looks like there are twice as many plug wires then I have seen before. Also, your engine is very shiny.

Removing the distributor helps immensely, too.

Hi David
Yes, Iā€™m swapping old wires for newā€¦ and in case you canā€™t tell, I like shiny!:blush: soon Iā€™ll be replacing the black powder-coated cam covers with stripped and polished ribbed cam covers.

Even more shiny!

Now I have everything out and there is some room to move I was wondering if there are some others jobs I should contemplate. I have not had any problems with my starter motor or water pump but was wondering if there is anything I should do while I have good access.
Any opinions appreciate d

Jay