[s-type] Adjusting the auto transmission selector cable

Along with my other threads about the S-Type lemon I have on my driveway, here’s an account of adjusting the transmission cable. It’s probably documented elsewhere and better but I thought I’d give my version here.

Checking and making this adjustment is important because the selector quadrant down at the transmission moves a piston to a certain position for each gear selection that opens some fluid pathways and closes others. If it’s not lined up right, the piston might not be perfectly aligned with the various passages in the valve block. Furthermore, the selector on the transmission contains electrical switches that tell the Powertrain Control Module what gear is selected. Obviously the code sent from these switches needs to be right. By carefully ‘feeling’ the lever I could tell the cable was misaligned. The detent for ‘R’ was slightly lower down the gate than would line up with the gate itself.

I’m discussing an early S-Type here - later models may have different arrangements.

The first job is to remove the upper part of the centre console. Despite what you may have read elsewhere there is nothing to undo. You just open the armrest cover and pull the whole unit vertically upwards. The clips will no doubt be stiff. Inserting a large flat blade screwdriver into the seam at different points and turning gently helps to get them moving. As it comes up, you’ll need to ensure the handbrake lever is as far up as you can get it and that the popper on the handbrake gaiter is undone.

Once the console starts to come up, you’ll need to undo three electrical connectors - the cigar lighter, the sport mode switch and the traction control switch. Then you can take the console off altogether, threading it gently off the handbrake lever as you go.

The adjustment process starts with the selector in ‘R’. So, if you’re in my position you have to go to the workshop, get the battery, put it back into the boot, open the drivers door, and use the key fob to silence the bloody alarm. Turn on the ignition and put your foot on the brake to open the interlock and move the selector to R.

Now undo the two nuts that hold the selector cable to its bracket. The Jaguar procedure also says you should detach the selector cable completely (it pulls off) from the gear selector but I’m not convinced this is necessary.

Working under the car, move the selector on the side of the transmission so that R is selected. Gear positions are anticlockwise starting with P, so R is the second position from the right. If you happen to have the sump off your transmission as I do then you have my sympathy - but it does mean you can actually see the selector going into its detent inside the gearbox.

Now get back into the car and re-attach the cable to the selector, ensuring the lock nuts are wound back far enough so they don’t interfere. Then fit the cable back into the bracket and finger tighten the lock nuts without moving the cable sheath one way or the other. You can now try moving the lever to D etc. and (again, if you have the sump off) get underneath to confirm the transmission selector is fully seated in the D detent. Choose other positions and keep checking until you’re happy - then tighten the locknuts - without letting the cable sheath move - and put everything back together. A bit of suitable lube on the cable wouldn’t go amiss.

Some pictures:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/v.htm?1442326168--
1998/9 XJ8 4.0 LWB, 2000 S-type 3.0 SE Auto
Surrey, United Kingdom

Visit the Jag Lovers homepage at http://www.jag-lovers.org for exciting services and resources including Photo Albums, Event Diary / Calendar, On Line Books and more !