S Type Engine - How to date the block?

I have tracked down a 3.8 engine and am in the process of rebuilding it. The serial number is 7861883-8 which I believe shows it to be an S Type originally with 8:1 compression.

Is there a way to identify the year or date of car it was originally fitted to?

TIA

I have managed to obtain a Military vehicle (J60 Series) sump, which is E Type friendly and handily has a slightly larger capacity than standard, plus a S3 XJ6 oil filter head for the benefit of a spin on filter. I am currently awaiting the oil pick up pipe and securing bracket specific for the E Type.

Sorry engine number should read 7B 61883-8

The closest engine number I can see in saloondata.com is 7B61686-8 which is from a March 1966 S-Type.

-David

Pat, all XK blocks I’ve seen have a pouring date cast into them. Look between the two full-length ribs running along the lower left of the block, to check just in front of the dipstick location. There will be numbers like 26-9-64 or whatever. That won’t be the date of the car, as they tended to weather the blocks and stress-relieve/‘normalise’ them for weeks or more before machining. Bit like using seasoned wood to avoid warping and instability.

Pete

1 Like

So, sounds like after we won the World Cup!

Many thanks David

Thanks Pete, will check.

Hi Pat
You probably know this but you can fit the later cam feed pipe to this filter head. It was a latish mod to provide better oil feed to the cams? than from the old point at the rear of the gallery. Only problem is,over here in the U.K., these pipes are becoming hard to find as a far as I’m aware no one remanufactures them
Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel, yes I think as fitted to S3 XJ. I am toying with the idea of getting a braided hose set made.

Thanks
Pat

Make it two Pat if you can get banjo bolts to match the union thickness. I’m coming over i late August.

How to date the block? For the block on which I live, this would require the acceptance and discretion of a considerable number of spouses. Not an activity I would like to undertake, your focus on figuring how to date the block seems far healthier than this other interpretation. Looks like you got estimated answer from David.