[s-type] Heated Door Mirror

Hi All
Nice frosty morning and no heated drivers side mirror.
Well,the mirror is there but it didnt defrost.Any ideas guys?
Regards
Clive 2000 3.0 SE

Visit the Jag Lovers homepage at http://www.jag-lovers.org for exciting services and resources including Photo Albums, Event Diary / Calendar, On Line Books and more !

I have just investigated this problem on my 2000 V8. Neither side heated mirror was working and I wasn’t sure whether the supply was missing or I had some other problem. The supply to the mirrors comes from relay 3 via fuse 9 and I could see 12 volts on fuse 9 when heated backlight was selected.
Obviously the next check was at the mirrors themselves. I found a number of posts on the web describing the way to remove the glass which suggested pressing the mirror outwards and then pulling it backwards. It tried this and was convinced I would break the glass if I carried on but I also found that if I moved the RH mirror so that it was looking as far from the car as it would go I could just see the heater contacts by peering through the gap at the inner edge and was soon able to establish that the correct voltage was there with my multimeter.
The mirror itself is retained on the gimbal by four pairs of clips. You can just see that at the fixing points the gimbal has little rounded raised protrusions and by carefully inserting a flat bladed screwdriver between protrusion and the mirror you can pop the clips off. Once two pairs are released the mirror comes out easily.
The heating element had failed on both my mirrors and showed open circuit when tested. The replacements measured about 10 ohms.
The new mirrors just pressed back onto the gimbal with a click and now they get nice and warm when switched on.