S1.5 Cant select REVERSE gear

Reverse gear has it’s own fork on the right side of the gearbox. It rides on a short spindle fixed to the side of the gearbox casing and held in place by a nut over a tab washer. Clearances are tight, and if for some reason that nut should back off the selector fork could become jammed. Easy enough to check out, since you’ve already taken the top cover off the gearbox tunnel. And if that nut is indeed loose it should be a simple fix…

Thanks Nick, I’ll check that out.

Hello Nick,
I don’t think there is any difference with regards to the Reverse Gear Selector Lever Pivot, between the all synchro gearbox of a 4.2 S1, through to S3. The Pivot should be a Setscrew Bolt screwed into the Gearbox Case from the outside, with the Thread in the Reverse Selector Lever picking up the Thread of the bolt just as it starts to emerge from the Threaded hole into the inside of the Gearbox Case. But no nut that I’m aware of.

The order of assembly from the outside of the Case is:

1. Fibre Sealing Washer,
  2. Locking Tab
  3. Setscrew

As you say, there is little clearance inside and leaving out the Fibre Washer and or Locking Tab can be enough to cause interference if the Setscrew is on the upper limit of length tolerance.

Regards,

Bill

Yes, you’re right, Bill. I was going from (faulty) memory. It’s a setscrew. Should be tight, with fibre washer and tab washer in place.