S1 Fan-Otter-Relay Wiring

I have a 1966 restoration underway; a new wiring harness, Coolcat fan and otter switch. The relay has positions of 85, 86, 87 and 30. The Coolcat fan has an orange wire and a B wire. The wiring harness for the fan has G and B wires. The wiring harness for the otter switch has BR and B wires.

I’m pretty sure I’d know how to wire this up without the relay, but with it I’m completely lost. Yes, this is the first time I’ve ever attempted to restore a car.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

12 volt power goes to 30 with fuse protection for the fan a the source of the 12V
87 goes to the fan
12 volts goes to 86 (fused can use same 12 V as 30 above)
85 goes to the middle terminal of the otter switch
The outer male spade connector on the otter switch goes to ground

(The other connection on your fan goes to ground. Be sure you put the wire from 30 on the relay to the proper fan terminal or your fan will rotate backwards)

Dennis
69 OTS

Can you post the instructions that came with the CoolCat fan?
I will comment on which fan connection 87 from relay is connected to.
Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I am pretty confident from other JL forum posts that the fan’s orange goes to G. And, B goes to B.

Thanks again, Dennis. Does this diagram fit with what you are saying?

1. I’ll make a BR wire to run from 85 to middle otter.
  2. I’ll make a G wire to run from 87 to orange fan.
  3. I’ll ground the outer male spade of the otter to the picture frame.

I guess I’m confused as to what to do with the B ground wires from the otter and fan wiring harnesses.

The B on your diagram from “Wire harness fan” goes to the fan ground.

The B from “wiring harness Otter” goes to Otter switch outer spade terminal.

Dennis

1 Like

Gotcha. That makes sense… Thanks again…

2 Likes

Hi Mike—the relay you sent me has 5 spades. my first you sent has 4. Is this a problem? I’m still in a fog on all the wires now going to and from the relay. Seems to me a power wire to the relay, a gnd and a power wire out of the relay. color or wires don’t seem to match either. any help appreciated

Ignore the blade that has 87a terminal ( it is for a normally closed circuit) otherwise wire as per mikes schematic

as it turns out, my CC relay wasn’t the problem (fan would not turn on). It was the new, aftermarket switch that was bad. I had a very old original otter that I checked using a heat gun-----worked perfectly. Removed the aftermarket one added the old–problem solved. Now I have a new CC relay that will probably sit unused for years:) Anyone need one?