S1 from electric windows to manual?

Hi all,
I’m thinking to step back my 1973 S1 from electric windows to manual windows due to intermittent problems and in order to simplify electrics.
Is it ok to find 4 manual windows regulators + handles or there are other things to look for?

Sounds like a lot of work mate. My series 1 had intermittent problems but it is sorted now. The main problem was switches and a badly corroded motor connection. Not a good design how they mounted motors. water can get into terminals on top of motors. I got some old doors with motors. And only one was bad on my passenger rear when I cleaned all my connections to the top of the motors i used some general electric clear silicon to where they connect to motor and filled hole with it keeps wet out. The window switches can be taken apart and cleaned up. there not very complicated used some good anti electronic grease after cleaning.

be careful & check the parts manual, I have been told its not possible (but I dont neccesarily believe that)

You will likely also need a close look at the internal differences for a complete list, Asa - and remove the motors…

There are probably little information on this ‘reverse’ modification as well - and as Tony implies; it may not be a straight swap. You could of course find 4 complete doors with manual windows…:slight_smile:

I second Sawyer; your electric problems may be easier to fix than doing the conversion - or at least that route forward is well known…

Frank
xj6 85 Sioc Europe (UK/NZ)

Thanks all for the feedbacks. I know that solving the electric thing could be an option, but I like also the idea of simplification in these rather complicate cars… Looking at the parts manual the only difference appears to be the regulator itself, but the vendor on ebay of the manual regulators warned me that the “doors are different” and not specifying what else may hinder the conversion.

Further investigation lead to the fact that for Series 2 there were a double part number for manual vs electric windows doors, but on Series 1 there is the same part number… the mystery thickens

Attached the manual page of S1…

1 Like

Here I am reviving an old thread. Did not think anyone else would want to revert to manual window cranks but sure enough that’s what I wish to do.
If your still on this forum, how did you make out?

Why on earth do you want to do this James?
You just installed an electric brake booster… Signs of bipolar disorder maybe?
:slight_smile:

Best,
Aristides

2 Likes

There is nothing more utilitarian than wind up windows :smiley_cat:

1 Like

An old-time taxi driver told me manual windows are much better if you need to do a quick hurl out the window :face_vomiting:

I think he meant quicker, and maybe able to locate the winder quicker

Be aware that someone (in here) told me the doors themselves are different (on a 420G) for power vs manual windows

I suspect a clever guy like you would be acle to get around it

As you would pretty well have to buy 4 manual doors anyway, I guess you will find out, as rusted XJ doors are usually “throw away items” so not an expensive experiment

Hello, yes I successfully reverted mines to manual buying only the windows mechanisms I found on eBay. On mine late Series 1 (1973) they simply bolted up and the holes aligned perfectly. An effortless operation

1 Like

When I have a drunk passenger it is quicker to touch a button than it would be to explain to them how that crank thingy winds the window, and which way is down again?
I have a phone with a rotary dial too (it works, but who needs landline these days), most still know how it works, had to explain that a few times though

I always thought the doors were the same because they say that for electric, a strengthening plate must be added to the door. Somewhere in the workshop manual.
Confirmed above.

S1 manual windows are really nice and fast! But, so are the electric ones.

2 Likes

Don’t know where you’re located, but in the US 73 was a unique year for S1 due to introduction of safety regulations. The door locking system is different, and there are longitudinal safety plates fitted. I have no idea if the window system was modified. Nor do I know if these changes were ROW or just US. But, in the US at least it’s possible that early S1 cars had different doors for manual and power windows, but in 73, because the door was changed for other reasons, windows controls were designed so that either style fit the same door. Abstruse point, I know.

Thanks again gents, I located some manual window winders in England and they will b sending to me.

Aristidies is right, maybe a little bi-polar… not only did I swap from conventional braking system to electric, but I also installed a push button shifting module for the gearbox to free up the floor space- And yet I desire manual windows :smile_cat:

1 Like

its your hotrod buddy :grinning:

Ah ok I didn’t know that! I’m located in Italy, but I got parts from UK, so at least in these two markets the parts were the same…

I installed the manual crank windows. Unfortunately they did not line up in the least, but after some drilling of new holes, I was able to make it work. :smiley_cat: