S1 headlight scoops color

I have an very early 62 S1, 875701. Should the headlight “scoops” be body color or silver? Thanks

Silver, only every early OBL cars had body color scoops

Thanks Bob I appreciate the advice!

I used this and think it looks really nice. Mine is also a ‘62.

3 Likes

Hi, they should not be silver, more of an opalescent silver gray. I have an NOS one.They are not hammertone
as SNG sells.
Regards,
Allen

1 Like

Robert,

Thanks for the recommendation, Looks great with the red!

Steve

Allen,

I appreciate your sage advise. I don’t want to do this twice ;>)

Steve

1 Like

I had mine powder coated and was lucky with the colour the blaster used. It is a metallic silver grey and looks great (to me)

So Philip
How much more to do? When’s the launch date?

Well…… the interior is taking an age to do. Just fitted the screen chromes, wishbones and side roof chrome……all original and cleaned up nicely.
Just fitted the can’t rails (not a nice job…especially if you riveted the screw access holes in the seal holders….and fitted the seals and quarter lights and doors!)
I was hoping for August so now just hoping before the salt goes down on the roads (Dec/Jan).
The center carb has suddenly decided to flood each start, so developing problems before it’s finished!

Oh such is the joy of these Phil…. Is the float level correct…. It needs to be perfectly shaped to prevent the little needle in the valve from sticking and not closing properly…. How do I know this …… I had the same problem …. It results in flooding in that carbie…… pretty easily fixed … but frustrating

I did the same thing with the rivets in cant rail holes …… but I hadn’t put the seals or windows in fortunately…… it’s moving along keep at it

Philip,

Thanks for sharing your pics the silver grey metallic looks fantastic with green. BRG?

Opalescent dark green. I’m pleased with it

The S1 Authenticity guide gives some advice and some latitude.

HEADLIGHT BUCKET COLORS
Earliest cars - body color (Porter – Pg.185)
All other covered headlight cars - the color varies from light to medium silver/gray with a slight metallic finish
Open headlight cars - body color
All covered headlight cars had a rubber seal around the front of the bucket (J30 – Pg. 177 & J37 – Pg. 160)

Thanks Harvey for your comments and reference to the guide. Any idea how I can obtain a copy of the S! Authenticity Guide.

Best,

Steve

Hi Steve,
If you are a JCNA member you can down load it from the Member’s area of the JCNA website after you log in.

Hi Bob,
Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn’t aware of how that worked.
Harvey

Personal preference; I think body-colored ones are far better looking. When Tweety had his first respray, that’s what MnD did.