S1 - How do you set the Clock?

The one inside the Tach. I see a square hole on the back, does it take a special tool or am I missing a cable of some sort?

BrianM

Youā€™re missing a cable that allows you to turn the setting mechanism from under the dash.

"

Youā€™re missing a cable that allows you to turn the setting mechanism from under the dash.

"

Looked for it at the usualā€™s and could not find it even referenced. Anyone know where to get one?

I recently saw one on auction or for sale on ebay, but did not put it on my watchlist as I did not need it.

Take a look on both the XKE and XK ebay auctions for it. I think itā€™s still there.

Looked there. What was it called? any memory of the description?

Does your clock actually run?

Brian,

I donā€™t know if this is the one for an E-Type, but it is a Jaguar Clock Reset Cableā€¦

-David

Hi, I found what I saw the other day. Donā€™t know if this is what you need, but this is all I could find

Wasnā€™t it set at the factory?

2 Likes

Does your clock actually run?

Yes, had it rebuilt by CoolCatā€™s guyā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s probably the one. putting Odometer in the description is a
bit confusing because I think they are two different sizes.

Have to do some measuring and comparing tonight.

Thanks,

Brian

Hello Brian,
Following is picture and approximate length of the correct cable:

Regards,

Bill

Disconnect your battery until just the right moment, then reconnect it :wink:

5 Likes

Mine does, and surprise, it keeps accurate time once I got it dialed in. Iā€™ve got it to where itā€™s accurate to within about 5 minutes a month. Close enough.

How do you manage with an accuracy of 5 minutes per month?

Ove, Iā€™m guessing youā€™re joking, but if not, these are analog timepieces. They actually go ā€œtick tock,ā€ and hearing that quiet clicking in a silent car is wonderful.

According to the old Seth Thomas clock manufacturer dating back a few centuries, if your analog clock keeps accurate time within a minute each week, youā€™re in good shape. In London of the 1800s, when it came close to high noon, people would gather in the streets to adjust their pocket watches to Big Ben. Same with other major cities.

Certainly these Smiths clocks dating back to the 1940s fit within this category of timepiece. They are extraordinary, four-jeweled, hand-built pieces of functional beauty, requiring maintenance-ā€just like everything else about Jaguar in the day. And when functioning properly, there is nothing like them, as we all know.

If you want your Jaguar clock to be digitally accurate, you can have the innards replaced with a modern movement. But you lose the ticking, and, equally, the enjoyment of adjusting it every week as you wait those required few minutes for the engine to warm up with its manual choke engaged before you back out of the garage.

There are two sources Iā€™m aware of that can supply a digital pacemaker to these clocks while keeping the balance wheel and all of the analog gear movement intact, thus preserving the desired ā€œtick tock.ā€ One is Mike Eck, who will perform the service if you send him your clock. (See relevant threads on the subject.) The other is Mark Willows of Clocks4Classics.com who will send you a kit from England for roughly $100 US.

A man with a clock knows what time it is, a man with more than one clock is never quite sureā€¦

2 Likes

This might be a stupid question, but is there any product that you know of that will keep power supplied to the clock once you disconnect the battery?

I disconnect the negative terminal at the end of each drive. I was told by the PO my S1 clock was rebuilt by the CoolCat guys. It does not seem to run when connected, and I was disconnecting the battery anyways, so I just set it to 4:00 and left it there! :wink:

However, I would love the proper ticking clock, even if it lost a few minutes a week but Iā€™m not gonna reset it if itā€™s hours-off for each drive.

Perhaps some kind of capacitor that charged when the battery is connected and took over once disconnectedā€¦ If it doesnā€™t exist, maybe I should make oneā€¦ Seems like classic car folks the world over would flock for one of these. I could sell dozens!

Andrew

Andrew, hereā€™s some info on Smiths clock repair. It has answers to all your questions.

If you disconnect the battery when the car isnā€™t in use, as many of us do, using a battery disconnect switch or similar device, you can connect a low amperage fuse across the disconnect which will keep the clock running but blow if any larger load is present. I think some battery disconnects come with such a fused bypass incorporated. Of course, if you forget to reconnect he battery, the fuse will blow if you try to start the car, or turn the lights on, or maybe if you open the door if the map-light draws too much currentā€¦