S1 OTS seat belt anchor points

I bought a Securon 514/30 retractable seat belt way back when. Now that I’m actually driving my E-type, I find the fixed 3-point belts fiddly and want to put this in.

However, all the research I’ve done so far (web, this forum, various E-type originality books like Haddock and Clausinger) show the anchor points for the 3 point belts to be on the horizontal rear shelf of a roadster E-type, from S1 on. Various old posts state that these mounting points are hidden under the upholstery. Here’s a pic borrowed from another thread.
Inertia strap

The problem is, on my car, the anchor point below the vertical section of the bulkhead, on the downsloping portion below the snap mount for the hood tonneau. I have not been able to find another picture of an E-type with the anchor located here.

More, I find no evidence of the shelf-anchors. I presume that these should be visible from the boot side of the shelf, somewhere in the ribbed portion, but there is nothing indicative of an anchor point.Any ideas? Am I looking in the wrong place?

I have no reason to believe this was done by a dealer or previous owner, as the belts are Jaguar (Kangol I think.) But of course I don’t know that for sure. I’d rather have the high-mounted locations because of greater safety. One of the old posts here indicate that even the 3.8’s had the high location (according to the much-missed Jerry Mouton.)

Thanks,

Dave

My belt anchors on on the floor behind, on either side of the seat. ‘66 OTS

I believe he is trying to fit the shoulder portion of a 3 point

Early cars have NO high anchor for shoulder belts. They have only the ones in the corners of the parcel shelf. If you want high anchors, you have to fabricate your own, which means adding suitably reinforced points to attach them.

Regards,
Ray L.

I was wondering but he also mentioned he thought it was original and S1 didn’t have 3 pt. Maybe I’m confused on what he said😉

Larry

I have a 67 ots stripped down to bare metal. If you like I can take some pictures this weekend of the rear mounting points.

I think Jerry’s would have been high but off on the side, being an FHC. The factory ones on my 64 OTS are exactly as shown in your first photo. I’d think you’d be able to work out a suitable bracket to use your lower mount. Sadly the OTS shoulder belt isn’t terribly comfortable no matter what because it passes next to your neck rather than across and over the shoulder like it should. If I had it to do over I think I’d try and get a bracket fabricated to attach to the soft top pivot bracket, maybe under it attached to the studs.

Thanks all. To clarify, my car is the second pic (black interior.) It’s a 1967.

I have 3 point belts, but the anchor is much lower than any of the other Series 1 OTS pics I’ve seen. I do not have the high shelf-mount anchor, nor is there any evidence of it.

Yet, Erica has a 1964 that has the “high” mount (tan interior, pic 1.)

Geoff, a pic would be great. Just confirming if your mount locations correspond to pic 1 of the 1st post or pic 2 would be plenty as well.

I feel that my current “low” location is factory, based on close examination of the bolt hole:

Bolt hole:

Based on what I’ve read here and elsewhere, this is not a ideal location for a 3 point belt, as the reel or upper anchor should be at least even with the shoulder. Jaguar seems to have known this, yet it would seem that for some reason a 1967 E-type got a obsolete location when they were already providing mounts in the better location in 1964.

Since installing the retractable belts in the current location is not a regression in safety from what I have now, I decided to install them as is while pondering relocation to the safer mounting point.

Retractable belt installed using existing anchor points

The buckle. As provided, it’s a bit too short - it’s difficult to pivot the seat back forward because the inner seat pivot bracketry fouls the thick part of the buckle. I used a Securon-provided plate to extend it an inch, so I can easily move the buckle out of the way when folding the seat back.

Buckle in place for driving (though I haven’t yet since my new brake bottle decided to start leaking like the old one did…)

Dave

For my 1968 ots I installed my inertia reels in the boot (trunk), i copied this guys restoration design image

i am pleased with the result. http://etype.chrisvine.com/category/rebuild/bodyfittings/interior/

Some various pictures of S2 mount examples can be found here. Maybe helpful?

http://e-type-lovers.com/seatbelt.htm

RobY

Bdragon. Here are two pictures

The distance A is between the centre of the bolt that is screwed into the mount point and the vertical face of the rear bulkhead. 4 1/8 inches. B is the distance between the centre of the bolt and the vertivle wall of the inner wheel well. 3 1/4 inches.

It would be nice to put your name in your profile. Most people on the site do. Hope this helps.

I mounted them by drilling a hole with a big washer behind. I used sheet metal which I painted with wrinkle finish paint to make s shield from the convertible top when folded.

Geoff, your location indications of the more common mounting points will be very helpful if I choose to replicate that factory scheme. My mount has about the same “B” distance, but low down on the horizontal portion of the lower rear bulkhead.

Charlie, your mounting scheme looks pretty clean and I like it. Something I’ll think about when I decide to improve the safety of my belts and raise the belt angle to even with my shoulder.

It does seem my mounting location is very uncommon, especially for a 67. I’ll still keep searching for pics of a older E-type with the low horizontal shelf mounting - I just can’t figure out why my later model car would have that location and not the more common, safer high mounts.

Dave

Glad to see that it may help. Apologies for the suggestion to put your name in your profile. I had not noticed that you sign each post.