S1 Repair Manual Choices?

Another newbie question (I do use the search function, but results were a bit dated and not 100% on point): What all is out there and what is the recommended “must have” in the way of repair manuals for a Series 1?

I already have a Haynes manual (which I bought before I actually bought the car, to get a feel for what is out there). My experience with Haynes has varied wildly depending on the vehicle. Some have been outstanding, others, not so much. This one appears to be somewhere in the middle, but not too bad.

What, if any, other manual should I get? I see what is described as the “official workshop manual” (green cover). I have heard of the “Bentley” manual, but don’t know exactly what that is.

For reference, the immediate projects I will be doing include removing the engine, replacing rear main seal and clutch, inspecting and likely rebuilding all clutch and brake hydraulics and renewing the fuel system. Basically, most of the things you would do to a car that’s been sitting for 20 years.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Edit: Also have the Clausager book, not a manual per se, but good reference. If there are other suggestions of good books or references, I’d appreciate that as well.

In my opinion you need the Jaguar Service Manual and Jaguar Parts Manual for you particular car. The Bentley Manual is a reprint of the Jaguar Service Manual, and probably easier to find than the original Jaguar Manuals. The Service Manual was original written for the early 3.8L cars, with updated sections for the later 4.2L Series 1, and then Series 2 cars. As a result, it can be less than perfect for the later cars, but still very worthwhile. The Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust (JDHT) published a CD containing both the Service and Parts Manuals on one disk. I think this is available from the usual parts vendors. The parts vendors catalogs are also a useful source of information, particularly those from SNG Barratt and XKs Unlimited.

Thanks David. Mine is a 3.8 car, so that’ll be good.

I agree with what David said. Both manuals are similar although the Haynes manual is a little less detailed than the Bentley. Many of the illustrations in the two manuals are identical; I assume that they may be reproductions from the Jaguar service manual. You can’t have too many resources, so pick up any that you can get your soon to be greasy hands on! And have fun with the process.

The original is better in a couple of ways. It comes in a 3 ring binder, which will lay flat when open, where the Bentley reprint is bound. Also I understand the Bentley has reduced the page size so it’s more challenging to read…

I have one for sale, $40, if you’re interested.

I bought my Haynes manual three years before I bought the car itself and used it exclusively for several years before buying the Bentley, eventually getting the parts/service CD which I now use almost exclusively - you can print out the pages you need and get greasy fingerprints all over them. The E-type Haynes manual is certainly one of the better Haynes offerings. It’s based on the factory workshop manual and uses many of the same diagrams but also features pictures that help explain how to go about repairs and rebuilds as well as some useful hints the workshop manual lacks.

Bob, I would love to buy that manual if available. I will try to P M you about it to get off the main forum
jim

All I had when I bought the 2+2 was the Haynes manual the PO gave me with the car. It provided me with enough information to do what I needed to do. One advantage of the Haynes manual is it sometimes gives you workaround solutions if you don’t have the factory tools. I think the Haynes assumes you have limited knowledge of mechanics in general and zero knowledge of E-types.

Before I bought my current FHC I ran across the Bentley reprint of the service manual at a swap meet for $5. Now I pretty much use that exclusively since it contains everything the Haynes manual does, except the workarounds. The Bentley manual assumes you have the proper factory tools and a good understanding of mechanical work in general.

I’ve never owned a parts manual and have managed to do what I needed to get done. I’ll readily admit a factory parts manual would be useful. Iimperfect but still useful substitutes are the large catalogues printed by SNG Barratt and XKs Unlimited.

Sure Jim. Send me a note and we’ll get it done.:+1:

Scott

I think if you do a little digging online you’ll find the parts manual and other stuff available for free for download…that’s what I did and I simply can’t remember the link I used. Might be Jag Enthusiasts in UK or even an open link to JCNA library? If I can find the links I’ll send them. Or I can slowly email you the PDF files…happy to do that if you wish. I have the parts manual and service manual as PDF files.

Or maybe I can just start a thread on here and load them? Hmmmm…not sure?

Cheers,
Kevin

I’m not positive but I think they are still the intellectual property of Jaguar.

1 Like

Yeah, I wondered about that too. But nonetheless, I have them and I downloaded them from a site or two that lists them and has them, so…?

Scott…for some fun stuff, click on the link “old site” at the top of the web page. Some great old brochures, etc. that are fun to read and some great photos, etc.

A poor-person’s parts manual is the SNG Barrat XKE parts brochure. Downloadable as a PDF from their website. It helps by showing the parts, their relationships and the part numbers.

Thanks everyone! Greatly appreciated.