S1 Speedo repro cable and routing

My SNG cable protrudes about 1/16" beyond the 3/8" specified in the the manual. The coiled inner wire looks to be flattened and maybe welded. I hesitate to trim it and have it fall apart. Has anyone tried this?

Also, I took this apart in 1980 without benefit of pictures. Can anyone advise the proper routing for an early 4.2, including location of P-Clips (2 maybe?).

Thanks
Rick OBrien
65 FHC in FL

I had a similar problem with a repro TR cable - I added a washer (or maybe 2) to the end to act as a spacer and prevent the cable from going in too far.

I think you are correct to be concerned that an inner cable long enough to press against the drag cup (or whatever it would press against) will be trouble.

The fitting isn’t that sensitive. Test the fit before you slide the ferule into place. You should find that it goes right down to the “hilt” without resistance. If it doesn’t go all the way home, then use a washer as Geo says. I’d be more concerned about keeping it clean.

The end is swaged under high pressure, which fuses the strands into nearly a solid block of metal. I won’t go as far as saying it’s ok to file it, but you can probably run a dremel over the end without harm. The bigger concern is cleaning up the dust and filings, as these can wreck your speedometer.

Greasing also should be done with care…slide the entire cable out, grease the lower 3/4 only, then slide it back it. Grease at the top of the cable can work its way into the speedometer and ruin your good work.

And only enough grease to wet it

There are two clips - one p-clip and another “clip-ish” on the bell housing that helps route the cable. Get them from the usuals.

Hey, I’m almost famous.

2 Likes