S1 Starter removal

Always interesting to read as to how to get around odd engineering!!

Over many decades, I’ve gathered a lot of tools. Many of them, quite ancient !!

One is a “starter wrench”. Intended for staters similarly mpounted in older critter’s engines.

It is curved. 9/16’ on one end and 5/8" on the other. Each “ring” or in USA speak, box.

Idea is to reach around the starter to get to the horizontal bolts holding the starter against the bell housing in close quarters.

Would it work here? I’ve not the slightest.

Carl

Carl,
I did have a hoop made up with nuts welded to it, but did not use it. After removing the vacuum tank, air filters, throttle linkage from accel, and the two water hoses from the firewall, I found it pretty easy to remove and replace the upper starter bolts solo. The lower starter bolts were a problem because I could not hold the bolt and the nut s. Pushing on the nut from the cockpit side just pushed the bolt out the other end. This is how I was able to hold the bolt head pressed into the transmission while I started the nut from the cockpit.
cid:669F1586-3CBA-4CEA-A48C-C4B6C1CD49F1

Ha! I need to study how to post a photo.
Mike Moore

Mike,

Have a look in User Guides and How-Tos, there is a user guide covering this very question:

https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/how-do-i-add-pictures-to-a-post/349356/4

Mike:

What works works, I always say.

Even I semi computer illiterate mangaged to post pictures on the old J-L. This J-L is much less restrictive and user friendly.

On a reply box, check the task icons along the top. number 7, from the lefty is the one you want. it will open a widow with browsing options.

Next up on my n3ver ending task list is replacing the fuel pump on my venerable old Grand Cherokee Jeep. In the tank. top mounted. Gotta drop the tank for access. Makes a Jaguar system look llike a cake walk!!

Carl

This is the setup I used to push/hold the lower starter bolt into the starter so I could get in the cockpit and install the nut. Once the nut was on, the pneumatic ratchet tightened it fine without a wrench on the engine side. Also,
as I was doing the starter change out all by myself, it was difficult to hold the starter up and get the bolts in. I began with a couple of very long bolts and was able to do this one at a time leaving the starter somewhat dangling by the long bolts. I replace the long bolts with shorter bolts and finally was able to hold a shrter lower bolt in while I started the nut from the cockpit using the board and a piece of bungee cord.
Mike Moore

Thanks Andrew-I need to tune my technique though!
Mike Moore

Morning Andrew and others,
When I try to post a picture it seems to upload but as it nears the end it informs me that my picture is too large. I’m using a Mac and iPhoto. Any work around that you can suggest?
Thank you for your hard work keeping this site operating.
Kind regards,
LLynn

Odd???

That was an issue I had to work around on the old J-L.
No MAC’s. but, picture size was definitely. Folks tried to tutot me as to how to reduce them. It didn’t “take”.

So, I did a work around. I set my ancient Canon and even more ancient Olympus to a middle resolution. Quality still not all that bad. Carefull step by step on the J-L instructions, and yahoo, it worked a few times.

Are the old J-L albums available here. If so check “lumps” and see some of my stuff.

Posting a teen aged me on “Dusty”, my Mustang green broke filly was a cake walk!!! Levi pants and Tony Lama boots. Proper wear for a West Texas kid.

Carl

Carl

Thank you Carl,
I use an iPhone to take the pictures and iPhoto to store them, looks like I’m going to have to find some way to resize them for JL.
Enjoyed your picture!
Cheers,
LLynn

Lynn,

I had the same problem, sounds like. In my case, the photo was well below the J-L limits but was still refused. I tried a different photo – too big according to the rules – and it took it. My solution was to use a different photo, or maybe to just open and save in Photoshop. Problem for me was with the photo file.

YMMV.

Jerry

The maximum size of an upload is currently limited to 3072 kb. Unfortunately there is no way for the server to tell how large your image is until the whole file has been uploaded.

I’m not a Mac user, so I can’t give specific advice, but I’m sure that there is some way for you to check the size of a picture before you upload it. If your photo is larger than 3MB then you can resize it (presumably iphoto can do this) and save to a temporary location, then upload that smaller image.

On the Windows platform I select the pictures I wish to resize, then right click “Send to email recipient”, Windows then asks if I want to resize the photos and allows me to select a size. Outlook then opens a new mail with the resized files as attachments. I can then select the attachments and save them to a temporary folder, and upload them to JL from there.

My shop camera is old enough that it only takes 3MB photos, so I don’t have to resize them.

Unfortunately, the Discourse software cannot do the resizing on the fly. Perhaps they will implement this feature at some point. In the meantime we humans will have to do the work that computers would seem to be perfectly capable of doing.

Michael,
I just found this thread. If your car is a 3.8, how did you get to the nuts from the cockpit? Did you remove the radio, console and gearbox cover?
Thanks,
Al

If it is an earlier 3.8 the best way is to cut an access hole in the tunnel, similar to the newer cars. Somewhere in the threads, in history, I have posted, as have others, dimensions on where to locate that.

Paul,
I have a later 3.8 built in early 1964… Would that make any difference?
Thanks,
Al

Are the Lucas starter on the series one the same as the series two?

I don’t believe they put the access panel in the floor until the 4.2s

I managed to get a socket on the lower nut from under the car with a u-joint fitting.
Regards,
Al

1 Like

I just did one on an early Series 1 from below with a U-joint ( as Al above did ) and a flexible extension . Piece of cake no other special tools required. Getting that upper nut started from above was the challenge though.( helpful to insert your favorite colourful expletives I found ) Getting it started before the threads are too far into the bell housing helped. ( removal of usual components to get the starter in position required of course )