S1 straight through muffler..where?

where can I get a straight through muffler that sounds right? a little sporty

Do you care if they donā€™t have the oval bodies of the stock system?

If you donā€™t then you can adapt anything from glass packs to turbo mufflers to straight pipes. Itā€™s just a matter of finding the right length and/or having a muffler ship fabricate so adaptor sections of pipe. Youā€™d have to fab a couple of custom brackets but that shouldnā€™t be a problem.

I just got Bell SS (uses my factory iron headers) etype standard size (not 2") from Terrys Jag, with free shipping for under 700$, and they offered both pass through version and standard muffler; pass through version looks like a muffler but it lack internals of muffler.

Patrick
'66 fhc

I have this system on my 3.8. Sounds really good.

A Bowie, how high off ground did you need to mount downdraft pipes ?

Thanks
Patrick
'66 fhc

Be careful. I put a straight through muffler on my Cosworth Vega and was very raspy and irritating. I had to add a resonator to the system to save it and my sanity. I like the sound from the stands of XKā€™s racing at Goodwood and Monterey but do not think I could take it for long driving in my car.

David
68 E-type FHC

Has anyone actually used any more universal type mufflers? Iā€™m looking at this too, my silencers are toooo quiet, but cherry bombs or glasspacks are too much. Iā€™m looking at something like magnaflows or thrush turbos. Hoping for something throaty and rumbly but not obnoxious.

I put something called turbo paks (packs?) on the 2+2. They look like a glass pack but have onternal architecture like a turbo muffler. Iā€™m not sure they make them any more and I canā€™t recall where I bought them.

The stock mufflers have baffles surrounded by sound deadening material. ā€˜Straight throughā€™ mufflers have a straight perforated pipe surrounded by sound deadening material. The latter do not sound overly loud except under acceleration. At a cruise they are reasonably quiet. Avoid ā€˜big boreā€™ systems as the produce a deep bass sound which reverberates through the body and can be very tiring. The stock resonators are a ā€˜straight throughā€™ design. Jaguar tests showed baffled mufflers reduced power by 6%.

David

John, why long bolts on clamps ?

Patrick
'66 FHC

On the brackets? IIRC I was trial fitting them when that picture was taken and using what I had laying around. I either used shorter ones or dremmeled those down to size when I did the final assembly.

1 Like

Thanks John,

Did you ditch the factory asbestos heat shield ? Hope you donā€™t mind the Qs as Iā€™m about to mount the Bell system and i ditched the asbestos shield under fhc as well as the brake shield.

Patrick
'66 fhc

No itā€™s there. The white arrow is pointing to it.

Iā€™ve experimented with several straight through systems through the years, never found one I liked. My present system uses a custom muffler made to my design by a company called Stainless Specialities and a pair of straight resonators, maybe made by Double S. Sounds great, as long as you are listening from outside the car. Inside, it sounds like someone is working a plumbers helper on each of my ears. And this is the best effort to date. Iā€™m thinking that the best setup might be a pair of turbo mufflers and stock resonators. But given the time, cost, and disappointment to date, I may just go back to stock and be happy.

I replaced the heat shield with hand bent thin steel, with ceramic paper insulation glued to the backside. I donā€™t understand why you would want to eliminate them.

Me too. I think my stock E is the best sounding car I have ever been in. To me it has a perfect sound balance between finesse and grunt. Would really take a lot of convincing for me to switch from the stock type system

David
68 E-type FHC

I have a set of 2" mufflers and pipes by Classic Fab in Scotland. The mufflers are straight through, as are the resonators of course. My motor is modified and is 4.7 litres. Quality of work done by Classic is just outstanding - heavy gauge stainless sheet is used and all piping is mandrel bent (no kinking). The welding is art - the whole set is art! Unfortunately between 2000 to 3000 rpm it is unacceptably noisy. I found that I would never rev above 2000 rpm during normal driving. My wife wouldnā€™t ride in the car. I finally said - Iā€™m not going to ride in the car. If you just take it out for a half hour drive itā€™s ok - but longer highway trips - just forget it. Unfortunately Classic doesnā€™t or didnā€™t make baffled mufflers so Iā€™ve had Double S make me one that will fit between Classics downpipes and resonators. Will be installed in the next couple of weeks. Weā€™ll see.

Itā€™s all so subjective, but hereā€™s my two centsā€™ worth: I had straight pipes, back to the SuperTrapps, and the sound was lovely.

Did you use the one of the supplied venturies? I have the e-type fabs system which is now the classic fabs, and I donā€™t find the car loud at all between 2000 and 3000.

Iā€™m not a fan of loud exhausts. To me the E-type says ā€œI can be loud, but would rather notā€. Give me a subtle burble at idle and some polite exhaust sounds at speed.

Mine ā€œmoanedā€ or ā€œdronedā€ at about 60-65 mph, tapered off at about 75. I replaced the mufflers with the Jaguar made mild steel set when I replaced the down pipes with stainless steel. Drone changed a bit but still there. Iā€™d not wanted to take a long trip with that in my ears.

Then I pulled the 3.54 differential and put in a 3.058. Totally different car, no annoying exhaust drone up to XXX MPH.

Mine had the venturies. The problem is not that itā€™s too loud - itā€™s just that after a half hour the droning is intolerable