S1 XJ painted window switch cover?

Were these aluminum switch covers ever painted black originally?

In process of removing paint and polishing.
Didn’t believe so, suddenly curious.
TIA!

I’ve owned two and seen dozens more. Always unpainted; they may well be clear anodized. May be exceptions; if so I would guess that the aluminum shift surround piece is also painted. I’ve seen painted and veneered modified panels, though.

Ah, painted aluminum in color, and or clear coat?

While messing with it, removing this black paint, I recalled seeing a couple cars I’d come across painted black as well which is why I ask.
Paint attached pretty well and difficult to remove unlike a typical respray.

Polishing it up now it has a textured surface. unable to obtain any uniform look. Bugs me.
I may paint them aluminum regardless.

Hmm, thought oxidation would have caused their dull aluminum appearance, not paint. Hmm, could be though. Makes sense as I have noted via images online of various cars with seemingly missing areas or scratches.
They could not get that scratched up methinks if simply aluminum. Makes sense if missing paint therefore.

In all my time, and as a kid going to British Car days and Jaguar meets, had never, ever seen a S1 XJ before until I purchased sight unseen online. So I just have no idea.

Ok, freezing here, need to cover faucets outside and get a couple sheets of plywood to cover kitchen counter. I’m rebuilding head in the kitchen. Hell with it.

Thank you for you time.

Not painted, but mine (Daimler Sovereign 1971) has a thin black leather effect fabric stuck on - which I believe is original.

Frankie

1 Like

Me too, my 72 Daimler has the the black vinyl. Came with aluminium spares. I have mixed them so I have black around the window switches.

1 Like

Interesting. Never knew that.
I have a roll of black vinyl i intend to use on parcel trays instead of felt…though i may change my mind.

While i like very much the aluminum look, that is an interesting option and would be perfect…hmm, may be a nice upgrade for that switch panel due to scratches from use over the years which i can’t otherwise remedy.

Thx for the info.
Those are incredibly rare cars you both have.
Never seen posted anywhere, for sale or otherwise in the States.

Another option is walnut burl veneer to match the fascia. I covered both window panel and the shifter/radio surround piece.

Yep, sure. But I’ve been there and done that already with an XJS and S3 XJ.

I like the vintage look of the aluminum shift surround at the very least though.

We shall see…many thanks
If only I were at that stage of play at the moment, but interior tinkering is a nice sideline to keep the ball rolling.

@Frankie
@soscume

PS: Out of curiosity, what other Daimler differences are there, do you know?
Genuine leather door panels replacing the vinyl I believe and higher grade of leather seating (theoretically), and ??

Would be nice to know. TIA
Kind regards

Assume you mean Series 1? I’ve researched that in an attempt to tart up my 73.

Outside: Plated hard brass fluted grille, centre strip in bonnet, Square 8 fog/driving lights standard, plated brass strips along sides (four pieces per side), fluted plinth on boot lid, vinyl top with special chrome trim pieces at bottom of C-pillars, stainless tread plates.

Inside–same door treatment as on later Series 3, but not leather, rather vinyl (S3 has vinyl door card but leather cubby and door handle). Better leather on seats, same style as S3 front and rear, black vinyl on ski slope as already noted, carpeted front sides of console, cable style remote mirror controls (S2 style mirrors). I’m no doubt missing some stuff.

All were LWB AFAIK.

1 Like

Thank you very much.
I’m a nitwit, I could have searched online first.
Don’t know what I’m thinking. The cold weather must have frozen my brain.

Read my mind. I was thinking the same wishing to upgrade possibly a bit to make it more luxurious.
When I go inside the doors to rust proof I intend to back the panels with a padding of some sort to give the doors a nicer feel.

Those seats certainly are far more luxurious, alla Rolls Royce Silver Shadow really…

Despite what others seem to say, I always really liked the vinyl roof treatment on these 70s era cars.

Thanks for indulging me Mr. Robert.
Kind regards

Nice car Robert - if it’s yours you are indeed a lucky man!

I stand to be corrected but the car in the photos is a V12 vanden plas (although I didn’t know the S1 Daimlers came in that trim level - perhaps there are some imported SII or SIII elements here?). The “standard” S1 Daimlers were rather more basic (but still an upgraded trim level to the Jaguar) - and many were SWB.

Frankie

1 Like

You are correct, Frankie (and apologies to Demian). I failed to point out that this car is a Series 1 Daimler Double Six Vanden Plas and not a Daimler Sovereign. I gathered the photos on the web ~20 years ago…it’s not my car. So my description represents some but not most S1 Daimlers. I don’t know what upgrades pertained to the Sovereigns, but would be interested to learn. Here’s a chart showing just how rare the S1 VDP was:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/books/old-xj6/production_numbers.html

1 Like

A rare beast indeed - and now I’m scouring the car ads; you’ve started me off on something here Robert!!!

F

……but you’ve got to like gold!

http://www.roberthughes.co.uk/stocklist.html?utm_source=CarandClassic.co.uk&utm_medium=portal

Wow, you found one! An alternative is to fit the VDP parts to your Sovereign. They all fit, and can be easily sourced from Series 3 VDPs, Jaguar or Daimler. Here in the US, we never had Daimlers (due to an agreement between Jag and Daimler Benz). We thought that the S3 VDP option was original, not realizing that it was identical to that on the earlier Daimlers, from 1973.

If yours is a SWB, the only problems are fitting the shiny stainless tread plates (the rears must be cut down slightly) and fitting the rear door section of the chrome side finishers. They must be cut down, which would require brazing and rechroming in order to retain the molded ends.

See the thread below for photos of my VDP style door panels and rear seat.

Sorry, that was two photos of the rear; here’s the front:

frdrpnl

What a nice Euro spec Kamm-tail Alfa! How did it find its way into your garage, Robert? You never told us;-)

Cheers
Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Why thank you, Jochen. It arrived about 35 years ago. I towed it home myself, with its frozen engine and other various parts in the bed of a borrowed truck. It’s a 72, USA-spec. That was the final year of respectable bumpers, but we got Spica mechanical fuel injection to meet pollution standards, rather than the European twin DCOE Webers. Wish I had them!