S1 XJ painted window switch cover?

That’s really nice! Apologies for the mistake - I wasn’t even aware there were some years between the roundtail spiders and the advent of the cow catchers.

The SPICA injection was quite respected in its days. I think Alfa even put it on Montreals stock. With a car from before bumper laws do you still have to fear emission controls today? At 1200 US you’re in the game with a new set, it seems https://www.okp.de/xtc2/105/115-Spider/10-Motorteile/Vergaser/Satz-2-Weber-Vergaser-40-DCOE-151-Alfa-2000cc::20484.html. But, you know, I wouldn’t change the original setup as long as the car keeps going somehow …:wink:

Good luck with SPICA or Webers anyho
w
Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

A bit over my budget, Jochen. But that’s not all you need, of course. Like fitting triple SUs, you need manifold, air cleaner, linkage etc–all hard to source and not cheap.

The Montreals used a double-length Spica pump with 8 FI cylinders instead of 4. A very rare bit now days, as is the car itself. Yes, the Alfa and BMW mechanical fuel injections were ahead of their time–both able to meet newly introduced pollution standards without performance-robbing gimmicks.

Well, I had researched Alfa.
Having recently returned upon living many years in Italy, for the first time I considered getting something non Jaguar…

But in the end…nope.

The engineering and drivetrain kind of turned me off. Those bottom out straps in the back, seemed silly engineering to me. Poor steel quality.

However the motor is nice and well designed.

Rather like a 4 cyl. XK motor…the famous Busso motor.

However the quirks certainly seem endearing and remind me of Italy. I still elan that way, and of course love the apparent Alfisti and enthusiast support.

The Italian company would be nice these days.

Anyway those SPICA mechanical injection systems seem such an Italian contraption.

From what I have read becoming more and more difficult to service as those who know them are getting older,etc.

They are apparently very reliable though once sorted. Set and forget.

Rather like Strombergs in that way, yet have a bad rep.

Never knew they came with Webers abroad. Wow.

Only abroad they came with SPICAs:-)

It’s just a matter of perspective …

Until today they are huge driving fun and proof ot the pudding it doesn’t take 400 hp for that …

Best

Jochen

75 XJ 6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Sure, Robert,

you’re right - it takes more than just the carbs. And - as I wrote - I wouldn’t touch a running system, in particular, the original one. If it doesn’t run properly, however, and there is an arguably even more original system and your authorities accept it, I’d be tempted to get one of these setups from a Euro spec car - you don’t need a new one and might get your hands on the entire intake assembly. Let me know if I can help …

Good luck

Jochen

Completely agree with that.
These cars today are absurd with theirv0"60 times and top speeds.

Qho cares? One cannot use that on the public roads?!

Im not an old guy, however when younger, sure, made my v12 xjs louder to show presence of v12 etc.

However a little older and wiser one appreciates what Lyons et al. were teying to do and i learned to greatly respect the engineerong and effort to make the cars silent.

Now, for me, it is about the experience.

Not only precisely as you describe, yet also the luxury…

Appreciating that effortless s1 xj6 steering and wafting about, the environment and smells, etc.

I think they were pleased with themselves fitting mechanical injection. The all-aluminum DOHC V8 developed for the Montreal never had carbs and used Spica FI world-wide (AFAIK).

Indeed - that’s what I wrote in an earlier posting. I was just referring to the SPICA FI put on the four cylinder DOHC engines …

But again, mechanical fuel injections were well-engineered and high tech in their days. They were developed by Bosch, Kugelfischer and SPICA. Their reputation isn’t bad either - it’s just that they are a bit more difficult to service than a standard carburator of the same era, and were technically superseded by electric fuel injections.

Have a good Sunday afternoon

Jochen

1 Like