S1 xj wheel options

when i first got my 71 xj6, the kid in me wanted to put newer style wheels on it.
after having the car for a spell, the adult in me wants to keep the original wheels. well, let’s say original style wheels.
instead of messing about with drilling hubs and modifying what should not be my plan so far is this.
i plan to get new custom wheels made in the original style, aluminum, and in 17 or 18" and at least an inch wider. looks like a 1 inch offset could easily be added all around, opening up a vast tire choice. and they’d weigh less.
just spit balling at the moment. need to take some serious measurements next time i have a wheel off.
any thoughts or opinions.
this is the wheel in question,

I always loved these wheels on the S1, and especially the “Turbo” rims!
I would love to see the result.

If it was me though, I would go with 16" as to not compromise the ride. I just changed my tires from 215/70 to 215/65 and there was some difference, crispier but slightly harsher. Love the handling and the aesthetic aspect though of the shorter tires so I am quite happy.
I would also not go wider than 225, trailing could be an issue.
215/60-16 (-0.7%) or 225/60-15 (+1%) would bring you to almost the same size as the original 205/70-15.

A very good site to help you with your calculations:
http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Best,
Aristides

1 Like

Personally I wouldn’t go larger than 16". To my eyes, 17"-18" wheels just don’t look right on older cars…even if they mimic the original style.

But that’s just me :slight_smile:

Cheers
DD

2 Likes

I have those same wheels. Here is a photo of mine with a nice, slim, white wall. Classy IMHO.
Phillip

someone i work with said, eh, just put 60 series tires on it. i’m not sure that’d look right. i prefer a full wheel well, but surely don’t want all wheel in there either.
here’s my junk in question… it needs driven to settle the new front springs/suspension, it should sit slightly lower in front

1 Like

In Australia we got plain wheels, hub caps and trim rings on Series 1 cars. We
bought our XJ6 in '87 and it came with “hotwire” mags. Full original wheel sets, in good condition, were like rocking horse poo. So I went Kent with 205/70 Pirelli tyres. I like the look and ride and handling are great.

That may relate to a different compound, thread or whatever, Aristides - not just the change of profile…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Your car looks great.
Personally i don’t understand the desire to do what you are wishing to do. These wheels match the car perfectly. I consider wire wheels despite fact there is nothing positive about them except appearance…so perhaps I can appreciate(?)

If i had such $ burning a hole in my pocket I’d go for triple SUs or something…

To each their own. Have fun.
Great looking car once again.

1 Like

Haven’t had any luck finding someone willing to recreate the stock rims in aluminum and wider.
i do like the look of the original wheels, but need more rear tire traction.
thinking of BMW style 32 wheels with wobble lug nuts

Lug Pattern: 5x120
Diameter: 17”
Front Width: 8”
Front Offset: ET20
Rear Width: 9”
Rear Offset: ET26
Center Bore: 74.1

should fit, no? i suspect it’ll be real close in the rear
will i need to roll the rear fender lip?