S1 XJ6 Project? Help me go in eyes open

Because I have a problem, I’m always looking at car classifieds just browsing interesting cars. Not that I need another car or another project mind you, I don’t have the time or space for what I have. Especially since my 6 month project of building a 88 XJS V12 into a track car is now into year two.
But a local ad for a 71 XJ6 popped up. Long term family owners. Currently not on the road. But interior is complete and what caught my eye most, the seller claims the body is straight and rust free.
In my mind, sorting the mechanicals is within my skill set (only half as many problems as my current V12?) and if it’s not a rust bucket would make a lovely “family” car. I have two young girls and I envision it as the ice cream run, church, birthday party car. Just thinking of having something fun and interesting to build memories with the girls.
Of course being broken down on the side of the road with three irritated women (wife and daughters) would be another kind of memory.
What I’m running into is unlike the XJS where your have Kirby’s book and endless resources, the series 1 cars seem a bit more of an orphan.
Are parts unobtanium? Is there much support?
Give me the scoop and maybe talk some sense into having another project jag.

Pictures of possible project attached just because.

Its hard to tell from photos but if the body and chassis is rust free (or low rust) that’s a big part of the battle.

I have had no issues with parts availability, so I would think you’d be ok there. Despite being functional on purchase, the bulk of money and time in mine has gone on steering, suspension and driveline / differential which has swallowed a surprising amount of resource and money.

These S1 cars are starting to be worth some money so may warrant time and money put into them.

But if you can get it to a stage where it’s moderately reliable and smart enough that your daughters start to think of it as cool, that’s mission accomplished. Top tip: Get some of their friends to tell them it’s a cool car…

1 Like

Car is complete, looks nicely maintained, nice colour, albeit not pristine by any way.
Interior needs some help…
Why currently not on the road?
Any photos of engine and undercarriage?

Rust issues aside, much simpler engine than the V12, and identical suspension / steering with the XJS, so you will be walking in very familiar territory.

The XJ is a cool car, always was and always will be…

1 Like

Definitely not pristine. But seemingly driver quality. I’ve just never seen one local to me that isn’t rusted out. Until I can actually crawl underneath it and poke around we will say “rust free.”
Off the road because of a rusted out gas tank. Last running 2 years ago. Reportedly. :joy:

You guys are supposed to be voices of reason. I guess asking crazy Jag people an opinion of a crazy Jag is going to get you exactly that :laughing:

2 Likes

I’ve owned two Series 1’s, a 71 and my current 73, continuously over the period from ~1985 to the present. Parts are generally not a problem, particularly if you are willing to be not completely original by using S3 parts when more convenient. I have two daughters and when they were young we used the car as you envision; I fitted picnic trays like the earlier saloons had for their use.

This example looks pretty good to me. It has the rare FG8/LR8 fog/driving lights. Tail pipes are S3, door mirror is 73/Series 2. Choke knob style and left hand location of bonnet release are characteristic of later cars but may have been used on late 71s.

The plus is that the car is a classic and you already know something about Jaguars. The minus is that you already have one Jaguar. There are other classics that would add diversity to your garage. IMHO.

Edit: The factory switch for the fog/driving lights seems absent from the upper right of the fascia panel in front of the driver. Also, the panel contains a “fasten seatbelts” light that I believe was absent on 71s. This is either a very late 71 or perhaps a 72 IMO.

1 Like

I really like my S1 and it always got me home so far. Zero trust issues. Not without occasional faults just like any other car that age but also very simple and straightforward. Much more so than later XJ were and the parts are of higher quality so you will like it.

This one has had some things done to it but all (that I can see) are easily reversible and that would make it a decent car.
The tailpipes are S1 as far as I can tell. Not S3 and probably not S2.

Don’t feel too good about that unless all these places are a few miles away and you go to church often (or eat a lot of ice cream). Get a workshop manual and as long as you keep using it you won’t run into anything dramatic or expensive; parts are cheap. In a way it’s an xjs…

My suggestion?

I would just go lie down on the couch until the feeling passes… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bob,

the car looks very straight from the pics! It is a SWB model, so 100 kg less to push and correspondingly quicker, unfortunately not on MOD. The tank/fuel issue is the typical show stopper for cars - in particular in the US! Count 300 US for each tank new plus 200 US for each fuel pump and with a serious number of you DIY working hours you’ll have that issue fixed for many more years!

In the interior all wood can be DIYed as well.Get good lacquer (I used 2 pac PU boat lacquer) and remove the old varnish, stain, lacquer, sand, lacquer, repeat …

The leather might be a lost cause. If you go for good SIII leather you might have a presentable cabin at little cost. The original narrow pleats leather is hard to find in decent shape and at a good price. The shabby furflex seals can be replaced easily, but the correct color may be hard to find.

So, take a very good look at the car, in particular the body and the engine, but, yes, go for it if it checks out well! I bought my car when my son was four years old - today he’s 20 and loves it! We went skiing in it with some of his friends and did many other tours he likes to remember

Good luck

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

You are correct, David. The S-shaped tailpipes are not flared at the end and therefore not S3. This unflaired style was used on S2 and late S1s AFAIK. The earlier S1s, including 71, I believe, had unflared straight pipes, C26171. The exhaust was rumoured to enter the cabin somehow, I think via the boot. The S-shaped offset pipes were supposed to fix that. IMHO.

Not sure about over there, but in NZ most of the manual window cars were 2.8L poverty spec, and badged 2.8 on the boot.
Was the 2.8 sold over there? If it’s a 2.8 auto, would be a bit pedestrian IMHO.

I currently have a 1973 Series 1 with a shot interior and a great body, I have not tried to get it running, but I actually bought it for the running gear, as I was about to drop the hammer on a 68 E-type 2+2 with no engine. I got ahead of myself, the the E-type got sold. It was a rag, but it was priced right at first. The new owner parked it in his lot and jacked the price up, with no intent to do anything with it. Such is life! The early cars came with twin SU’s and a 4.2 engine. It is RHD.

That’s my exhaust. I heard the S2 tips are slightly rolled inwards at the tip.

Fuel tanks may be repairable or buy new - the pumps are definitely and easily repairable.

If it’s only the seat bottoms that can be resown.

Not sure I agree with the comment about 2.8s. I’ve owned 7 S1’s and 3 of those had manual winders and were 4.2s. My current one has them and it is the (then ) flagship Sovereign 4.2. I think electric windows became more popular later into the series, as my cars were from 1970, 1971. The straight tailpipes were substituted in mid- 1969 and were the same for S1 and S2 cars, AFAIK. S3 cars had the rolled ends.

Seller followed up with some pictures that kind of dampened my enthusiasm. It’s the right project for someone but I don’t think it’s for me.

Thanks again for the help guys!

1 Like

Good choice! These cars can be VERY expensive to restore, and quite often–if it’s important to you–they can end up costing way more than their value.

Great cars to drive and pleasant, but not for the faint of heart…or wallet! Plenty more out there.

Fair enough, this is not the best base. If anything a fun beater.

Oy…
Love the novel use of that useless empty space in the trunk…!

1 Like

I ended up going a slightly different but equally terrible direction for the fun kid hauler. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

MAAAYBE a better choice…:grimacing:

1 Like

It’s not a better choice. Just a different choice.

2 Likes