S1 xj6 what are these 2 wires at bulkhead

They are between battery and starter relay at bulkhead. Not for kickdown switch.

Anyone know?
Thx so much

…ah, can’t upload photo from mobile phone…

Need to know the color of the two wires then anyone with a schematic or a S! car can tell you?

Excuse me, sure.

One is green with what appears black stripe, the other solid black.
Each has 90degree connector w rubber boot.

Certain they’re original. This car and wiring is quite untouched.

The wires are directly above the blower motor, at firewall, beside battery, right side.

Replying via email now, will try attaching photo, maybe it’ll work.

Thank you.

According to the wiring schematic and after looking at my '71 XJ that is LHD… they are for the windshield washer motor ( the white device located in the center of the photo)

Thank you very much …
Makes perfect sense.
Genuinely appreciate your time.

Actually was curious about a couple small vacuum hoses there as well…certainly from it also.
Boy do i have more photos and questions.

Although i have tried to research online and get shots of engine bay to help me, it hasn’t been very successful.

If at all possible and if tinkering sometime or whatever, can you take some quick detailed shots w your phone of engine bay and forward me?

If not it’s ok.
But I will pm my email.

Thank you so much.

As the vacuum hose layout tends to vary with market, equipment level and model year, not to omit PO interference, Demian - pictures may be more bewildering than elucidating…>)

The most important issue is to clarify what items require vacuum and what kind - and then lay out the hoses, and the pictures may be of some help there…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

Or a more adventuresome way to “figger” it out!!!

Black is almost certainly a ground, so connect it to a good ground. That leaves the other, apply 12 v. What comes alive?

Note; with adventure comes risk!!!

:sunglasses:

Hah
…and smoke :wink:

sure, black is ground…but…

…also another disconnected lead at starter relay, black.

I connected it and lead at distributor became hot and began to smoke!

Need to replace that wiring now…it was brittle anyway though.

…but wth?!

As I warned, there is risk.

WAG!!!

The N/S interrupt switch on the transmission is involved.
What is has to do with the distributor escapes me.

Carl

N/S interrupt switch??

Sounds like something found on star wars spaceship?!

Wth does it do?
…oh, no start if not in P or N…?

Black is indeed straight ground, Demian - but it is meant to provide ground for some item with internal resistance; connected to plain power or a defective item leads to burnt wires…

When experimenting with connections must be ‘touch’ first - not permanent off the cuff. Adding that a PO may have used a black for anything - or any colour for anything…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ

I have a series one LHD north America model let me know if you need pictures still I also have some good diagrams of vac lines. let me know