S2 Alternator shortage?

Can’t find an S2 Alternator…for my 1970 xke roadster. Suggestions on where to look for a new one or rebuilt one. ??

Are you open to alternatives to the original Lucas unit?

Yes, Want to keep replace the one that froze up and keep a second one for a back up. Thanks

If you are wanting a different brand that is very similar this might appeal to you.

You’ll find two or three different swaps in my Faqs:

https://www.coolcatcorp.com/faq.html

As a practical matter, almost any alternator can work. Specific to S2, you’ll need to mind the fan rotation, as there aren’t many ccw applications.

Consider having your stock alternator rebuilt. A complete alternator may be HTF, but they can generally be repaired better than new with generic parts.

1 Like

I had the local alternator/starter guy rebuild mine and expect it to last my lifetime.

LLoyd

Wherever space and time interact, there is information, and wherever information can be ordered into knowledge, and knowledge can be applied, there is intelligence.
Pavel Mirsky, mid 21st Century Russian General

I had to get mine rewound and at the same time they replaced the front and rear bearings along with the brushes. As Lloyd says, it will last my lifetime.
I don’t like the rear bearing as it is a needle bearing running on the rotor shaft but is is not stressed as much as the front bearing
Dennis 60 OTS

Got a rebuilt Lucas for my S2 last year at Welsh… just checked their website they appear to be in stock. Good luck!

I went to Sound Starter and Alternator Rebuild in Tacoma, Washington. Its in a brick building that is at least 100 years old. The entry walls are lined with scrapped units stacked about four feet high that I assume are recycled at least once every few years. In the meantime, I had my doubts whether the floor could support the load. They did a good job on the rebuild, and I don’t have to feel guilty about using a non-original part in a highly visible place.

Thanks to all the responses so far!

Thanks so much for that recommendation and discovery of a rebuilt at Welch!!. That was the only one I could find! Hope they sent the correct alternator. As I stated in my last post: Rebuilt Alternator – it seems to work but I think it may have been for an S2 with air and mine is without. Hope that is not a problem. Battery gauge is running just above the normal range on the right side of the gauge. . In the past always in the mid normal range. Thanks again!!

The original 4TR regulators had an adjustment screw on the backside that could vary voltage (it may be hidden under a glob of something) the replacements typically do not.

But rather than rely solely on that gauge perhaps you should use a voltmeter to see exactly what is going on.

I got frustrated after the Lucas alternator on my 1969 Series II without AC failed for the third time in 2 years. Installed a Hitachi and have never looked back. Sits at 13 bolts rick steady. Super

happy with the unit. I was also able to eliminate the old voltage regulator. As you can see though, my car is a driver and sine I put over 2000 miles on it a year, I wanted a little more reliability than the old Lucas unit was providing.

1 Like

I bought this off ebay for $6 based on the suggestion in another string on this forum a month or so ago. I think it is a great addition rather than only relying on the Battery gauge. Makes it easy to tell at what RPM the alternator kicks in etc.

David
68 E-type FHC

Thanks Phil… . Paid over $300. for a rebuilt Lucas… hoping it last longer than 2 years. I’m keeping my original Lucas and having it rebuilt. Makes good sense to have a backup I think even tho I only drive around 500-1000 miles per year. Will keep your idea for a Hitachi in case I have the same problems. Thanks again!

Amen to Phil’s suggestion. I took my lead from Ray’s excellent write up on he Hitachi 15 years ago. The Hitachi 65 amp / one wire hookup was the answer as I had rebuilt my Lucas 3 times and many disappointments. Available from Napa for $60, lines up perfectly with a modified tensioner bracket and an easy install.
Of note the Lucas does not do well being mounted so close the exhaust manifold, it also pulls the heat forward and over the diodes and failure is assured over time. Slight mods to mine worked as per pics. best regards, Brian/Mytype