S2 center console cubby or armrest: how does it go together?

Hi All
From the rust I have manged to retrieve the bits from what I think are the armrest or centre console cubby. Only problem is that I can’t figure out how they work together. Seeking help on how these bits, in the pic below, work together to allow the lid to function?

Lastly for tonight, I have checked (Man’s look admittedly) SNG but cant see whether they sell the receiver for the bulbous male part on the lid that located into the cubby. I think the spring metal piece in mine is stuffed and can’t see me fixing it.

Cheers
Jacko

Disassembly pics from my '69:

And from my '71:

Is this the bit to which you refer?

1 Like

Thanks @Ahwahnee , pics are exactly what I needed.
In your last pic, I gather that piece that is secured there by one screw stops the lid over opening, is that correct?
And the lid has a taper where the hinge locates? This is what I was stumped on.
Lastly, what is the lid made of? For that bulk there has to be a few pieces to it, not just the single piece of vinyl and stud I have :wink:

Re that part, no, it is the receiver that bit goes into. In my pic it is the last piece on the right, under the chrome plate. Pre rusting I dare say it was some form of spring steel.
Cheers
Jacko

To provide some context to my questions, here is what I started with by way of the rear section of the centre console, oh and the lower piece of the lid.

I fortunately had access to another car and used this one to make a template and new rear and box section.

The lid has a plywood base with a specific notch for the hinge. There may be T-nuts in the plywood for the 3 screws of the hinge - that’s a guess as I don’t recall actually removing it:

There is a piece of thick foam on top - on one car I found suitable thickness foam, on the other I built it up from 3 layers of ½" foam that was really smaller than ½".

The bottom of the lid gets a Masonite finisher piece that is glued on:

My '70 lacked the piece that the peg fits into, so I used a cleat which is what was original to the '69. Most find that it is better to make the cleat thicker than original so the lid doesn’t jump out and over as you lean on it getting in the car. Some vendors even sell a thicker cleat for this fix but easy enough just fashion one:

Wow, there are bits on the Titanic that were less corroded than that.

4 Likes

Thanks @Ahwahnee, great explanation and pics- love your work!
Jacko

And as promised here are a few before and after shots of the console.
The rest of what I had in addition to the side panel (well most of it anyway)

How she finished up

The marine 3-ply under the front section:

I was not going to reinstall the ash tray- disgusting habit- but have decided I will but with a sneaky USB outlet.

Cheers
Jacko

2 Likes

How does the ashtray come out? It appears that the vinyl has to come out first is this correct?

The insert that holds the ashes can be removed just by pulling it out of the body of the ash tray. The body itself is inserted from below the panel it sits in. You have to partially disassemble the console to remove it.

Thanks John, the console is out but there doesn’t seem to be any way of pulling the ashtray out. It seems to sit on top of the metal console Does the leather have to come off? I’m going to redye it so I don’t want to disturb the leather. It looks like I’m out of luck.

This “Y” shaped top piece needs to be removed from the rest of the console to remove the ash tray:

@skiracer I just redid the ashtray as I wrote; see below. Does the ashtray sit under the ply or is it sandwiched between the ply and the ‘Y’ piece? And how is it attached, rivets, screwed, something else?

Cheers
Jacko

On mine it was under the plywood, trapped there once that piece was mounted to the sheet metal base.

No rivets, screws or other attachments used or needed as far as I could tell.

One thing you might do is glue a square of leather or vinyl on the top of the metal base where the ashtray will end up sitting - that way when you remove the inside of the ashtray you are looking at a finished surface and not bare metal.

1 Like

@Ahwahnee good tip, will do
Cheers
Jacko

What Geo^^^ said. Under the plywood. I did use a small router to remove a layer of the plywood so that the bottom of the ash tray was flush with the plywood so it would sit on the console better.

1 Like

Thank to all. I decided to just tape around it. In order to get it out, I would have had to disturb the leather and since I’m going to redye it that wouldn’t be a good idea.

Can anyone provide the thickness for the foam in the cubby lid? Will post pics of the timber phase MkII shortly (Mk I was a bit short I now relalise-doh!)
Cheers
Jacko

Mine is 1 1/4 inches before it is covered squashes down to 1 inch

1 Like

@REBUILD61OTS Thanks Danny.
Finished making cubby lid MkII this afternoon. Was a bit quicker than MkI and so used the time saved to make the seat base corner sections out of 3mm MDF.

MkII is 350mm long but needs about 3mm taken off it and the corners rounded. Jobs for tomorrow as it is raining apparently.
Cheers
Jacko