S2 or S3 engine?

Even my S2 XJ6C has limited value. You would think that with all the 4.2’s around we could find a way to get them overhauled/ rebuilt for less than 5 figures.

Would just think dealing with injection related challenges.

If local ordinances and regulations allow it, that’s easy: I took an S3 XK engine, and put the carburetors and manifold off of a series 2 E-type on it. Works just fine.

Depends. You can do it for less than 10K if you do things yourself

Do you have the original motor on hand

Trouble is most 40yr old motors need machining and lots of new parts

same thing applies to pretty well all engines though

I got very lucky and found a good S2 rebuilt engine out of a wreck on eBay

The seller did not know it was rebuilt, so I got it for a very cheap price

I see whole XJs getting wrecked on the Oz Jag Facebook page on a regular basis.

What Country are you in ?

1 Like

Just a comment,
I have collected 9 running 4.2’s mostly xj6 series 3…to me it was a “no brainer” either rebuild…and spend a lot of money with the likely outcome something is not done correct…OR. OR…RnR an engine and good to go for??? Well, that is the question…is it not? Well, not many of us drive our E’s as Pete Peterson did…that is 100’s of thousands of miles…and as Richard says, down in Texas, the E probable will not be driven 10k for the rest of its life…
So, I listened to “Guru’s” like Richard and Pete (just cross the pipes…no need for REMOTE BLEEDERS)
I LISTEN…
Mitch

If there’s a choice between engines of equal condition the later blocks are the best, with slots between the cylinders and strengthening outside. However the crankshaft is hardened in the latest ones which may present machining troubles, but they might last longer. Just pick the best engine available at the lowest cost. Rebuilding is expensive and even if you do it yourself expect at least $1000.

My 4.2 runs fine right now showing 1045 on a 5 digit odometer. Just planning for the future !

In a message dated 1/6/2023 6:57:52 PM Central Standard Time, noreply@jag-lovers.com writes: