S2 Wiper Rack removal/installation

I have an Jaguar XKE -Type Series II 4.2 liter 2+2 Passenger Coupe. I need to replace the two headed wiper rack as the right hand head is free wheeling and cannot be repair/replaced. I have taken the dashboard off and can see the rack inside the firewall. It looks difficult and fiddley to get out. I do not want to remove the windscreen if I can help it.

Any advice you can give me will be most appreciated.

Stephan,
This is indeed one of the more “fiddley” jobs you’ll do with your E-type. It takes patience and careful planing to remove but it can be done without too much trouble with some tips and tricks. Here is how I recall I did it: (It’s been a while so i may have forgotten a step so others please chime in…)

1. Remove the plate with the relay on it in the central opening
  2. Remove the power connection to the wiper parking assembly in the middle of the wipe assembly
  3. Remove the motor arm connection to the wiper assembly by removing the “jesus” clip. Care must be taken not to remove this clip without an attached holder like a length of string or thread so it won’t be lost in the lower section of the scuttle.
  4. Remove the trim on top of the bodywork
  5. Slide the assembly down to let the drive arms fall through the bodywork
  6. Move the entire assembly as far to the driver’s side using the openings in the interior bodywork to get it as far over as possible.
  7. Once it is far enough over to the side, the end can be brought out of the central opening, and then withdraw the entire assembly.

I have an S2 OTS, so what I know might have to be modified, but first, I can get my wipers out just pulling the dash top. You need to pull the hazard flasher to give access to the rack. A rod comes over from the wiper motor and is connected to the rack with a ball and socket. This is released with a metal clip right there on the socket, then just let the rod set in the valley. You then pull the wipers and remove the large nuts under them, tap on the trim to break it free of the bodywork. The rack should drop down now. On the OTS you need to take the ends loose (it is to long otherwise), but on a 2+2 I bet it is short enough to push all the way to one end, then brought out the center.

Thank you both for your assistance. With your advice, yesterday I was able to replace the wiper rack with ease. It was fiddley but not difficult.

1 Like