S3 2+2: The best GT!

Everytime I take my series 3 on a trip, I can’t help being amazed at what a great GT this car is.

First of all, even though the 2+2 doesn’t get the respect the earlier FHC and OTS get, for long trips it is just the most practical. Even more in my case as I removed the rear seat and extended the floor boards all the way to the front seats with two storage cubbies behind the seats for tools. As a result we can fit a ton of luggage in that car, and we did. And of course the extra inches in the door make it a lot more comfortable than the shorter wheel base cars. No big deal on a short drive but important on a 12 hour run

Second the five speed makes it real fun to drive on highways. On the long runs to and from NC, we cruised at 80/85mph turning 2500/2600 rpm. Nice and relaxed

Third, the AC blows freezing cold! Only issue is the lack of side vents to spread the air around a little better.

And finally the handling. Ah the handling… With the slightly updated suspension, that car is so much fun to drive on curvy roads.

Reliability wise, the car didn’t miss a beat! Before the trip I took it to same shop I ve been using since 1999 for a full service and inspection. The only issue I had since the the restoration and engine rebuild was vapor lock of stopped for more than 5 minutes. My mechanics added a temp sensor behind the radiator so that the fans (highly efficient Audi fans) come on and off to dissipate heat building up after shut down. Sometimes cycling for 15 minutes. No more vapor lock. It now fires up with half a second everytime Even cold, it dipped down to below 40 a couple of days, it fired up

22 years and counting, well over 100k miles. So many memories over the years.

Yes I know I need to finish the interior :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Pascal I love seeing this. I just started restoring a 1971 2+2 and plan to use it as you do. I’ve done over 10K miles in my roadster in the last two years and while its been fun I think the 2+2 will be much more comfortable. Very much looking forward to it.

Why, it’s patina………

1 Like

Why?

Wont drive any better!

:grimacing:

I’ve long held, that were I EVER to get another E, it would be a 2+2.

Beautiful car and beautiful photos. I recognize all those photo locations from my two trips to Tapoco Lodge this year. :smile:

1 Like

Ah Paschal

Nice looking car …… can you show me the interior changes to the rear of seats as I am contemplating same idea in mine ……. Do you have photos “ under construction”
Cheers
Danny

Yes Indeed Sir!! Owned my car for about 25 years and it continues to make me smile every time I go into the garage, but, I have to say it is NOT the prettiest of the bunch. Now watch the Silver Lady punish me for saying something nasty about her lines!

1 Like

I ll have to take pictures as I just realized I don’t have any. I didn’t use plywood but 1/2” divinicel structural foam core with a layer of fiberglass on each side. Very stiff and lightweight. The whole area is covered with the same carpet that came in the S&T kit from CJ.

2 Likes

I think I agree and I am an XK guy. Has been a long time since I drove one but the only engine that I think might run better than an XK is a V12. I am just not confident I could cope well with the V12 maintenance-wise especially in USA configuration with all the tubing etc. on top of the engine.

David
68 E-type FHC

Mine was cleaned up. Air pump, air hoses, most vac hoses … all gone. Very simple and bullet proof. The MSD/Crane optical pick up has greatly help reliability.

Yeah there are 12 spark plugs wires but no big deal.

1 Like