S3 manual/overdrive into S2 4.2

Hi

Wonder if anyone has fitted a S3 auto manual box into a 2+2 S2 4.2 coupe?

A chap is offering to sell this box saying it is a straight fit…onto 4,2 bell housing with same spigot length and prop fitting

My car is auto (leaking as per) and does anyone have views on this swap

Or should I look for a 4.2 all sychro box from a same year car (also on offer but more money!!)

Your views wouold be much appreciated

Thanks

Dear Paul,

I am a little bit confused by the terminology you have used here.

A s3 what? A s3 etype or a s3 xj6 or xj12?
What exactly is an “auto manual box”? Is it an automatic or is it a manual gearbox? You appear to have covered all bases once the title is considered.
Also, I’m not fully conversant with the s2, but most people regard a 2+2 and a coupe to be two different bodyshells, one being 6 inches longer than the other.

Two things that can be clarified:- the long wheelbase etypes which had manual gearboxes will have had a long tail on the end of the gearbox which is the same length as the compact type-A overdrive which you may be referring to in the title, so that is good news; the automatic gearbox had a broader base than the corresponding manual gearbox so swapping from auto to manual gearboxes generally leaves more space in the tunnel region below the console in the centre of the car, so that is also good news.

kind regards
Marek

Thanks Marek

I basically have a choice between

leaving my series2 etype an automatic (2+2 coupe) It Leaks and is a bit fierce on take up
choosing a manual overdrive box from a series3 etype (less bellhousing at presen)
choosing a manual 4.2 box with bell housing (costs more than the od box
Looking at a 5 speed although that is a costly option

I intend to keep this car for many years so want to get it right

best wishes

Paul

Dear Paul,
The s3 etype never came with an overdrive option, but that doesn’t mean that the person you are dealing with doesn’t have one. (I have a s3 car with a manual overdrive box fittted as a conversion from an autobox.) Obviously a manual gearbox needs a corresponding bellhousing and clutch release fork and you need one for a 6cylinder car.

The long tailed jaguar manual 4speed gearbox is the same length as the overdrive box and the bog-warner 12 gearbox.

You basically need to decide whether your car needs a long tail or short tail gearbox as the long wheelbase car is 6" longer than the short wheelbase car.

kind regards
Marek

Hi Paul…this ishe type of gearbox and compact overdrive that you need to replace your auto box…

its a jaguar box…there are other overdrives available that are longer, they will not fit…the top of the box may have to be changed to get the gearlever in the position you require

Hi

Many thanks for finding the time to reply

Yes looks identical . Top may be slightly different Would the box fit a 4.2 manual bellhousing?

Would this be the better option rather than the 4 speed box which is off a 4.2 2+2?

Your views appreciated

Hi Paul…yes the box would fit a 4.2 bell housing…it really depends what your after…i have a S2 2+2 with a standard gearbox and 3.07 diff so revs quite high in 4th gear i purchased the gearbox pictured to replace mine and give me a 5th gear and lower revs at higher speeds…but decided i prefered the sound of the 4th gear and didnt do much long distance so kept the original and sold the o/ box.

Hi

That’s useful information. Thanks

Must admit I am erring towards the standard set up.

Guess I would need to swap out the diff though!

Check your diff ratio. S2 2+2 normally had 2.88 ratio (maybe not for US) if so would be ok with std 4 speed

I have two '69 E-types (series 2 cars). One is a 2+2, the other an OTS. They both had the American spec diff ratios. The 2+2 is an automatic transmission. It used to rev at a ridiculous rpm on the highway, so I changed the ratio to 2.88. It is much, much better on the highway now, and drives around town just fine. On the OTS, I not only changed the diff ratio to 3.07, but also put a manual 5-speed box with o/d. I have the best of all worlds in that car. It has a comfortable cruise rpm, and still takes off in first gear quite quickly. In your car, I would keep the auto box and get it serviced, and change the diff to 2.88

Yes the us auto diff is stupidly geared why though?

Apparently the 2.88 doffs are hard to come by…now I wonder why!

Thanks for the input

2.88 diffs are std in all HE V12 cars (XJS, S3 XJ12)

Are they a straight fit into the IRS?

Are IRS’s the same size across the etype series as a matter of interest?

Yes, all centres are interchangeable prior to the XJ40.