S3, Master Cylinder Sourcing

To get the discs out you need to remove the bottom tie plate and then you can drop the arms straight down. That is easier to do with the IRS still bolted in. Caliper removal is not fun.

1 Like

The pistons are hard to get out when seized.

I split the caliper, hammer the piston back in, block one caliper half with the bleeder screw and use the cars brake hydraulics to force the piston out

If its seized, there will probably be pitting which needs either sleeving or replacement

I cant remember whether the o-ring seals on the piston or caliper in the rears

I managed to get the pads out of calipers. Those pistons felt like they were welded in place.

Thankfully I am friends with a couple who bought out a couple of local British parts places.
Found a set of mostly new calipers in the piles o stuff.
Now to go and get the calipers and rotors off that hunk of iron.

Piston slides in seal. Grease gun for difficult cases. To the comment below, IRS brakes have zero issues when driving normally, unless something goes really wrong.

Just a note…I have had problems, many times, with the rear brakes on the jag IRS with inborn brakes getting very hot…to the point where I almost have no brakes…an idea occurred to me…carry a pair of vise grips so, if needed, crawl under and pinch the one hose that feeds the back breaks…yes, I will have to be careful…but, I can go on with my journey.
Mitch

Odd, Mitch - ‘most’ of the braking is done on the front’s, which is why the front discs were eventually ventilated…

Heat in itself, up to a point, will not interfere with
braking. But water is easily absorbed by brake fluid, and will boil when sufficiently heated - and brakes are lost. Hence the necessity of regular brake fluid change…

Which begs the question of why the rear brakes would become so hot that brakes failed. But being on a separate circuit, the front brakes would be unaffected anyway - and clamping would be unnecessary…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

k, I have to admit the tiny “parking brake” pads are hilarious

Indeed, Brian - they sort of work adequately, when properly sorted, with the car parked. It sure ain’t useful for emergency braking on a moving car…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

I don’t know, they are pretty good when sorted, they usually don’t after so many years… not ideal but there was no better solution at the time

Man that was a job. Don’t I could have done it without my friend’s lift.
I do love how everything is engineered perfectly to fit your wrench but not your fingers when putting the nuts back on.

On the plus side, the brakes work super nice now.

2 Likes

A transmission jack is great (very) if you don’t have a lift. I‘ve done it both ways and either way is dirty and awful!

1 Like

I bought one from Rock auto, Cardone I think. Not too expensive. It’s been fine, pretty easy to install. Braking is good but the fill cap always seems to leak a little so that’s annoying.