S3 STARTER CLICK AND NO CLUNK! new stream

Hi David, As usual you have shown great patience in this topic. If it were me,from the relay i would remove each wire at both ends and in its place use a jumper heavy duty wire. In turn I would look at WR, WY, and W2 Black to ground, then N.Regards, John H.

Hi David…I finally got back onto this issue yesterday. Having fitted a MOM switch, the urgency to find the actual fault subsided while trying to get it through the mot test. Now it’s passed, it’s back onto fault finding!

I went through your checklist above.
Everything worked at each check point with the following exceptions:

1. Relay does not appear to click when the key is turned.
  2. Relay does not click with all C wires removed and keybatbstart position
  3. With C2 wire back on, no Volts at C4 with key at start position

Does this news point to the relay…or could the ignition signal be suspect?

Philip, with the key switch in the start position, you should have battery volts at W1, and there should be ground at the other non C terminal. Switching W1 with the key switch should cause the relay to click, (unless it happens to be very quiet)
Tom

Tom…if it didn’t click…would that confirm the relay at fault?

To help yourself with this type of problem it is sometimes worth making a sketch to aid with tracing where voltage might/should be. You should also be cognisant

of where earth connections are. For example if you have 12 volts each side of the relay coil it indicates the earth is not present.

1 Like

Philip, to simply say it not clicking means it is defective, may not be accurate. First, as I indicated, you must confirm you have voltage to the relay coil and a negative to the coil, as in Phil’s diagram. If you have a faulty ground, it will not click, and if you have a faulty starter circuit it will not click. Use a voltmeter and check it out.

I finally got back to this starting issue today and worked through your test list David.
I confirmed a signal from the ignition key at the loom joint and at C4 when turned.
The image has my notes against your instructions David
NOTE - I bought a new relay so I don’t know why it may be that at fault.