S3 steering rack differences?

i’m about to pull the '84 xj6 S3 front subframe for a rebuild for transplant to my S1. i want to replace the steering rack while it’s all apart, as the S3 rack leaks like a sieve. are all S3 racks the same? rock auto doesn’t have one listed for '84, but they had an '86 or '87 rack. i would assume they are all the same? am i incorrect?
thx!

I recall two types of Series III racks: with big diameter tie rods or with small diameter tie rods(12 mm or 15 mm…something like that).

You can use either type so long as you have the matching tie rod ends.

I can’t remember the VIN break offhand but think your '84 would be a ‘later’ car.

Others will chime in

Cheers
DD

Yes, the switch was around 1983 according to Dick Maury. The later S3 racks had improved inner tie rod ends (nylon, not shimmed) and metric threads (not Imperial) for fitment of the outer tie rod ends. There was also a flat on the (thinner) tie rod for holding it with a wrench to keep it from rotating.

http://www.georgiajag.com/Documents/RackPinionHeads/RackPinionHeads.html

1 Like

good info! thank you both

Jay,
Couldn’t it be that the racks referenced for 86 and 87 are XJ40 racks?

Designwise the Series Jags’ racks are pretty much the same through the range.

Good luck
Jochen
75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Good point. I’m sure we’ve all seen that mix-up a few times. I’ve seen it more often with international vendors than Ameri-centric vendors

If I need a parts for a late Series III and the listings seem weird I’ll sometimes back up a couple years and search “1985”

Cheers
DD

all valid points. tempted to rebuild what i have. it can’t leak any worse. anyone ever rebuild/reseal their rack?
also, there a local shop that claims to rebuild racks, may give them a call as well once i pull the old one

Go for the professionals, Jay - DIY rack rebuilds are not always very successful…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

likely very sound advice there.
i’l get it pulled and off to the local shop before i try to order up something. thank you all

Pretty much yes they are all the same, there are differences in the tie rod ends, but it’s been my experience that the differences aren’t from year to year, but rather what BL (British Leyland) had laying around at the time.
measure the inner tie rod diameter and compare it to the replacement buyautoparts.com is a better source for racks. their warranty is better. I’ve purchased several racks from buyautoparts and have had good luck with the parts. everything fit. (OH, and no affiliation)

As I’m typing this, Doug has already addressed the sizing bit.
Keep in mind when removing the IFS, the engine is supported by the IFS so you’ll have to support the engine while it’s out. I used two from Harbored Fraught

The two big bolts running parallel to the ground put up quite a fight coming out. put on your boxing gloves, and prepare for a fight. That’s been my experience on my Series II and Series III. Of course after I replaced the Series II IFS bushes, the head gasket gave up. When will it END! :smile:

finally got to dropping the S3 front sub-frame out. pulled the engine/trans out. looks like the big leak was a PO whom neglected to tighten the hose fittings to the rack. was able to remove by hand. on the plus side, they installed poly rack bushings. and the Meyle tie rods i have on the shelf fit! may look into a rack rebuild anyway. someone above nailed it, a 15mm rod with a 13mm flat in the 84 S3. thank you all once again

I recently removed and replaced the very leaky power steering rack in my
wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible (same rack as XJ6) with a rebuilt one from
BUYAUTOPARTS.COM and I am very pleased with the outcome. The original
price was $576.63 which included a refundable core charge. I received a
prompt refund when they received the leaky unit that I shipped back to
them. The net cost to me, which included the “free” return shipping and
all taxes, was $307.25. The rebuilt rack that I received very quickly
looked like new, fit perfectly, and has been leak free for more than 2
months. I would not hesitate to buy from them again. I am very glad that
I finally did this work myself because it’s great not to have those puddles
of power steering fluid on the drip pans in the garage, the streaks of
power steering fluid on the driveway, and the need to check and top off the
power steering reservoir with fluid regularly.

I considered rebuilding the rack myself until I talked with others and
reviewed the archives which detailed problems with unsuccessful DIY
rebuilds.

I have no affiliation with BUYAUTOPARTS.COM other than as a satisfied
customer.

Paul

I too, have purchased XJ6 racks from BuyAutoparts.com; and have had great success. I’ve also purchase A/C compressors and dryer/receivers too with good results. Looks like the price has gone up about 50.00 since my last rack purchase :slight_smile:

good info gentlemen, thank you. going to try the local rebuild shop, Phoenix Rack and Axle. they quoted my $250 and a day turn around to go through my current rack. i forgot to ask about post work warranty. their interweb site mentions lifetime warranty, i suspect that isn’t on steering racks? i will report back. i should have the rack over to them later today or Thursday.

$250 out the door, lifetime warranty, and choice of poly or sleeved rubber bushings. one day turn around. oh, i chose the poly.

Jay,
$250 seems a fair price for a rebuild of your rack based on my recent
experience. I paid a little over $300 to purchase a rebuilt one but that
included two way shipping. Good luck with the removal and replacement.
I took my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible in for a front end alignment
last week because the steering wheel was a little bit left of center after
I removed and replaced the steering rack. This was the second Jaguar power
steering rack that I have removed and replaced and it came much better than
the last time. The Total Toe was only about .12 degrees out. Now it is
within spec and the steering wheel is properly aligned again.

Paul